• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Seeking Realistic trc452 advanced audio tweaks

I hear that. And I thank you very much for helping me get this thing going. So before I got to bed last night I did manage to make it do something along the lines of passing audio. I am unsure if I cooked the 1969 in there or not

100 ohm, usually in the 2314 types From Base to Ground..

TRC-452...does it this way...Note R261 - your 220 ohm.
upload_2020-10-9_7-35-19.png

A Realistic that uses 1957, But Coil GROUNDS DC to Base lead, a coil coupled design. R911 is your 100 ohm/220 ohm - but now a 68 ohm at R911 - but R912 is a BUFFER resistor (added to protect the 2314 or whatever part you use in there) in this design.

upload_2020-10-9_7-35-55.png

1957's are what's used in most Cobra 25 and 29's these days...
Note, they use a COIL to couple, not a direct connection via capacitive coupled

Other Realistics that use the 2314 - do it a little differently...
This one is the closest to your design I can locate easily in the R/Shack line..

upload_2020-10-9_7-46-41.png

But resistor R307 - 100 ohm...This resistor is the one that goes to Base. L303 is the peaking coil from the preceding stage, the predriver - like in yours. But the cap values (C306 and C307) are tweaked to offset the drive level (output) from the Predriver. The caps act as a power divider to split RF power arriving into this stage, from being too great, or strong signal overload - so they "split it" by shunting some signal with a cap to pull power away and in this fashion, takes many of the spurious harmonics along with it, into ground. A way to clean up a signal when you don't know how much "dirt" in there mixed in with it from the local oscillator and mixer sections sending power to it.

Last edited:
It has one already, but if it (new Driver) goes up in temperature - as in; gets very hot rather quickly - then you'll need to UP the value of that cap to 330pF - else just get it to fire and check temp first.

That cap is a divider to keep drive, and harmonics - from getting too far into the TX strip - causing other problems.

I wish CBtricks was still updating. I think out the other end of this project there should be a write up for others to reference on this radio. Like, do these steps, make it scream, leave c350 alone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.