• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sending radio to DTB

mt-oo

Feb 17, 2013
Going to send older Grant to DTB. going to get synthesizer alignment and frequency alignment. Dave offers a big talker and big receiver mod to this radio. Would someone tell what all this is in simple talk. This radio is stock, in your opinions should I only get the peak tune alignments done? This is a very good radio, I dont want to go over the top, or harm the radio. With DTBs reputation Im sure I have no worries, but would like everything explained.

Ask DTB to:

1) Replace all of the 10v electrolytic caps with 16v or 25v caps of the same uf value (about a dozen and a half).
2) Unlock the clarifier w/'standard' slide kc's.
3) Upgrade the AM Regulator and audio preamp transistor.
4) COMPLETE re-alignment.
5) Put TR-24/AM Limiter back in if it had been removed.
6) Check/replace the heat sink compound on six devices; driver, final, two bias diodes, audio IC, & AM Regulator.

Doing all that should keep it solid for some time to come . . .

Last edited:
Ask DTB to:

1) Replace all of the 10v electrolytic caps with 16v or 25v caps of the same uf value (about a dozen and a half).
2) Unlock the clarifier w/'standard' slide kc's.
3) Upgrade the AM Regulator and audio preamp transistor.
4) COMPLETE re-alignment.
5) Put TR-24/AM Limiter back in if it had been removed.
6) Check/replace the heat sink compound on six devices; driver, final, two bias diodes, audio IC, & AM Regulator.

Doing all that should keep it solid for some time to come . . .

Ohhhhh yeah; one more important thing . . .

7) Install Service Bulliten #1226. This will keep the rare and expensive MB-3756 Voltage Regulator from failure. Common problem on many of the 148, Grant, 142, and all radios that Uniden used the MB-3756 regulator in.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Robb That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I want a Very good Radio,but I don't want to go over the top.:)

Guesstimate?

$30 for the caps
$20 for the simple slide/clarifier mod
$8 for the transistors upgrade
$45 for the alignment
$2 for TR-24 - if needed
$5 for the labor to put on new thermal paste
$4 for the #1226 upgrade
$5 to clean the pots/switches (added)
$119 TOTAL

But can you even get a reconditioned 148GTL 5-pin for that price?
Nope.

Last edited:
Thing is, I would rather have/use the old Grant 5-pin than a new 959! I've done all those things above to my Grant. But I also replaced all of the caps. Schottky diodes for the NB and RX. Also did the Goldfinger TX/RX audio mods to it. As well as the blue channel LED, blue meter diode, and red/blue TX/RX diode. Popped a new meter in.

Cheaper to DIY . . .

Last edited:
Don't forget insurance I sent mine in its box it came in through USPS and spent a little more on insurance. DTB sent it back after he was done in the same box/USPS box.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.