• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Set up base station, bleeding the neighbors

Correction. I should have said type 31 material would be better than 43 at 27 MHz, as opposed to 61 for reducing common-mode currents. If you look at the tables in the Fair-Rite catalog online, you will see that type 31 is good from 1-300 MHz, and type 43 for 25-300 Mhz. The 43 is commonly found thru surplus distributors and at hamfests etc The clamp-on type ferrites make it simple to cascade several of them together along the coax at the antenna feed-point. You could also construct a simple coaxial balun by winding 6 to 8 closely-spaced turns of coax around a short length of 4" diameter PVC pipe. If common-mode current on your coax shield is causing some of your issues, then these steps should help. It may also improve your antenna field radiation pattern as well. Please let us know if you resolved it and what steps you did or didn't use. 73, Dave

Reactions: 1 person
First thing, if your antenna is not isolated from the mast with an insulator then I'd cut your feed line into electrical half waves. Thats half wave lengths of what ever frequency you are running. If you have 100 feet of feed cut it into 5 half waves round about 87.5 feet or there abouts minus of course velocity factor of your coax.
Once i'd done that I'd wind an air choke around a 4 inch former near your antenna feed. 5-6 turns around a plastic 4 inch pipe wound sequentially will see your neighbor back on your Christmas card list.

I would do all of the already mentioned things.... ferrite beads, toroids, raise the antenna at least 10 feet higher, ground your station, and add an ugly balun. And then ask your neighbor to be your Elmer and help you get your ticket. (y)

id do the rf choke coil at th base first. then ground your mast. usually the rf choke [coil]
will eliminate most trouble.last absolutely NO amps especially if he is a ham

Hey guys, been pretty busy lately, haven't really had a chance to work on it much. Got the grounding done, thats about it. Gonna have to do something tricky if I do the ugly balun since the coax is all tacked down under the house already, gotta go pull all the coax hangers and pull some feet back. Was considering pulling down the antenna and putting a dipole up in the attic, much further away from his house...

the rf choke will go just below where ya screw the coax onto the antenna jack.
if your antenna is low enough ya can climb up a A frame ladder disconnect
the coax ,form the rf choke and reinstall the coax connector .i hope when ya
tacted up the coax you didnt put anything thru it. how you put it up

Im also interested in the outcome, it would help others also. Dont give in that quick by taking your ball and going home, lol. I noticed no one said anything about your modulation or if you use a D104 lollipop, they can splatter big-time if the gain underneath is cranked all the way up, just a quarter turn or less for all D104's. low pass filters never work, dont waste your $$. I agree 100% with wrapping the coax under the ant connection, ive also read making a choke wrapped around PVC right out of the radio or linear.

My guess is common mode. Do the choke right at the base of the antenna and ground the structure it is mounted on.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.