• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shack Speakers

WA8ZYT

North Florida
Feb 21, 2012
Near Gainesville, Florida
dmfarms.com
Looking for something. Tried a Motorola mobile speaker, did not like it. What I DID like is the Boston Acoustics off my stereo system, WOW! Don't want to loose my stereo speakers though. Thinking of going to Radio Scrap and see what kind of inexpensive stereo speakers they have.

What are you using for the shack?

I use some older Radio Shack speakers, Minimus series I believe. They are about 4 inches or so wide by maybe 6 or 8 inches high, all metal construction and sound really good for the size. Larger speakers tend to have too much bass and take up too much room. I also use a small cube speaker from RS that is about 4 inches on a side and is wood connected to a 2m rig. My Kenwood TS-820S however is connected to the SP-820 speaker with audio filters built in and it sounds quite good as well.

2880227844u_2x424x360f

JBL J520M's

Relatively inexpensive. Accurate. Efficient. Small.
Best of all; they are JBL's.
'Nuff said . . .

I found a yard sale set of stereo speakers years ago in a wooden cabinet that does it for me. I use one in the house attached to my FT847 and the other one is still out in my barn hooked up to my old SSB CB. Not brand name, but they sure sounds better than the little radio speaker and cost me very little.

If you want to spend some bucks you can get / choose any of the Icom / Kenwood / Yaesu desk speakers that have the built in selectable filters. They always work great...but cost a lot - new. Can look for a deal on used. I found a Kenwood SP-820 at a hamfest for $30 because the plastic front grill was marred and scratched and couldn't really be repaired. Didn't mind for my shack.

For building a speaker, use a Midrange. They will provide best voice response. 6 inch would be great. Can get by with a 4 inch like you find in mobile speakers but you really have to get a very good quality one or you won't be impressed.

Good luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.