• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shelby, NC hamfest fast approaching

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
The SARClub (Shelby AR Club) is having its annual hamfest at the Shelby fairgrounds on Labor Day weekend. While not, I suppose, the biggest 'fest, it IS pretty large covering an entire fairgrounds area and has been held since 1957. So, if you are hankering to "get outta town" for Labor Day, come over to what Shelby calls "The Granddaddy of them all". And if you are wanting to set up and tailgate, tomorrow is the day to stake out your favorite spot. One of the unique things about Shelby is not only is it a two-day hamfest (officially), things start gearing up around Tuesday before Labor Day, and by Thursday, you can't tell it from Saturday as people will be swarming all over the grounds, buying and selling at a feverish pace!

To get to Shelby, NC follow US 74 from Asheville, NC (4 lane all the way from I-26) or take 74 East from Charlotte on I-85 (also 4 lane). Follow into town and start seeing signs to the 'fest. Take US 74 Business to the fairgrounds. You'll see it as the traffic will be stopped as the police direct cars into the parking areas.

So come on to the Shelby Hamfest! :LOL:

CWM

I hope the event will continue to attract enough buyers and sellers to maintain its current size.

We went to a local 'fest yesterday; in past years one of the better ones in the area. Was held on a college campus near Youngstown and in years past there wasn't a free inch of lawn to be found anywhere.

Nowadays...took us 10 whole minutes to walk through, and that included the inside areas as well.

If they're all going to follow suit we may as well quit attending. Im glad to see Shelby still viable, and Dayton - while smaller than in past years - is still large enough to warrant a 2 or more day stay.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.