• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shipping costs are out of hand!

Apples and oranges. We're not driving 1000 packages at once so the cost comparison isnt valid imo.
The problem for me comes when shipping prices inflate when fuel prices rise but never deflate when fuel prices drop. Seems to me shipping companies are screwing the consumer.
no mot apples to oranges.truck prices jumped way up.they didnt go down. all expences around a truck has grown vastly,due to lawyers standing on street corners waiting for any window to sue a trucking company has got insurance on the rise. tires have only went UP in price.
i have owned trucks ,still drive 1 and im not blind sided to whats in the background. fuel is only 1 item on the expence log

I've been trying to either shop local or drive (a reasonable distance) to avoid the shipping charge bloat. The 1% are enjoying their record profits. Example UPS reported 13.9 billion in Profit for 2022. Something is very wrong.

Edit: I feel bad for the employees and the independent trucking companies they aren't getting much of this pie.

Last edited:
it is what it is. whats out of hand is the way all the lazy people that work for these carriers treat the packages. kick em, throw em, drop em and stack five 80lb boxes on top of your little 5lb box. charge more money to ship? fine, but you better start treating MY property with respect and care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grunddiigg
I've been trying to either shop local or drive (a reasonable distance) to avoid the shipping charge bloat. The 1% are enjoying their record profits. Example UPS reported 13.9 billion in Profit for 2022. Something is very wrong.

Edit: I feel bad for the employees and the independent trucking companies they aren't getting much of this pie.
most all freight is handled via BROKER even ltl freight. there is where the top feeders reside

it is what it is. whats out of hand is the way all the scumbags that work for these carriers treat the packages. kick em, throw em, drop em and stack five 80lb boxes on top of your little 5lb box. charge more money to ship? fine, but you better start treating MY property with respect and care.
I was employed by the USPS for 35 years. I can tell you if you don't pack it to survive being dropped, thrown and otherwise abused, your stuff likely won't survive. And that is still sketchy. Packages are subjected to conveyor belt travel where they get dropped off the edge, then thrown into cages, and further tossed around until it gets to the destination.
UPS used to be a little better than they are now, and FEDEX was the safest bet, and I think overall they still are.
Shame, but that's the fact of the matter.
A somewhat edge in the USPS is Priority, and only because they have it less time.

bit late to this but ...

I'm in the transport business - own trucks. Costs have been through the roof since early 2022. Fuel went to over 5.00 a gallon, Repair parts went up something like 40% last June from just Caterpillar, Tires are nearly double the cost from 2 years ago, new truck prices are up something like 100% - used truck prices are up more than that.

all the while shippers and the brokers want to maximize profit (I mean who doesn't) - one broker I've dealt with frequently in the past has a MINIMUM profit margin of 40% on every load they handle, meanwhile the O/O pulling the load has a single digit profit margin at times.

Yes you see it as a trailer full of packages at this high rate but you gotta figure the guy behind the counter makes more, his health insurance cost is up, brick and mortar costs are up, plus the costs to transport said package along with every hand that touches it along the way earning more. On top of that, the majority of the companies are showing record profits (greed) all the while complaining that they can't find staff who want to work for minimum wage -

Sadly there's no easy answer - Inflation, Greed, Higher operating costs, Greed, and did I mention greed??

As a side note, Rates for loads were pushing 5 dollars a mile before the market tanked late spring of 2022, rates have stabilized and somewhat rebounded but they're still much lower. I think the National Dry Van average is something like 2.25 a mile last week (now before you react with I want to make that much money - it costs me close to 1.75 a mile to operate one truck without paying the driver or making a penny of profit ... there are plenty that have gone under already and there are going to be bunches more that will fall yet.

Personally I'm hoping to see things return to a normalish level - People need to make a living wage, need health coverage, and the corporations do not need to rake in record profits all the while blaming rising wages for higher prices.

I'm back quiet ... y'all have a wonderful evening!

bit late to this but ...

I'm in the transport business - own trucks. Costs have been through the roof since early 2022. Fuel went to over 5.00 a gallon, Repair parts went up something like 40% last June from just Caterpillar, Tires are nearly double the cost from 2 years ago, new truck prices are up something like 100% - used truck prices are up more than that.

all the while shippers and the brokers want to maximize profit (I mean who doesn't) - one broker I've dealt with frequently in the past has a MINIMUM profit margin of 40% on every load they handle, meanwhile the O/O pulling the load has a single digit profit margin at times.

Yes you see it as a trailer full of packages at this high rate but you gotta figure the guy behind the counter makes more, his health insurance cost is up, brick and mortar costs are up, plus the costs to transport said package along with every hand that touches it along the way earning more. On top of that, the majority of the companies are showing record profits (greed) all the while complaining that they can't find staff who want to work for minimum wage -

Sadly there's no easy answer - Inflation, Greed, Higher operating costs, Greed, and did I mention greed??

As a side note, Rates for loads were pushing 5 dollars a mile before the market tanked late spring of 2022, rates have stabilized and somewhat rebounded but they're still much lower. I think the National Dry Van average is something like 2.25 a mile last week (now before you react with I want to make that much money - it costs me close to 1.75 a mile to operate one truck without paying the driver or making a penny of profit ... there are plenty that have gone under already and there are going to be bunches more that will fall yet.

Personally I'm hoping to see things return to a normalish level - People need to make a living wage, need health coverage, and the corporations do not need to rake in record profits all the while blaming rising wages for higher prices.

I'm back quiet ... y'all have a wonderful evening!
thank you for finishing what i posted. we know well prices sound big profit,we know reality it dont exist.
cheep freight = loads simmed via broker handing load to another broker. besides that name BROKER use em n you in time become very much broker.
im lucky nowdays semi retired but haul only direct freight no broker involved n even that is not high profit

Reactions: KyPoohCDX618
thank you for finishing what i posted. we know well prices sound big profit,we know reality it dont exist.
cheep freight = loads simmed via broker handing load to another broker. besides that name BROKER use em n you in time become very much broker.
im lucky nowdays semi retired but haul only direct freight no broker involved n even that is not high profit
I'm pretty lucky as well, direct customer contracts. Thankfully they really like the service I provide and are letting me grow and expand.

Most brokers are the scourge of the earth. There are a few good ones but not many!

Reactions: Rwb
I'm pretty lucky as well, direct customer contracts. Thankfully they really like the service I provide and are letting me grow and expand.

Most brokers are the scourge of the earth. There are a few good ones but not many!
even the good 1s do like politicians at times BEND

Old thread but I'll add to it.

Aside from higher costs than pre-2020 this is how they deliver and in the condition packages arrive. This is the sirio megawatt 4000 I've been waiting for.

This guy obviously saw the shape the box was in, never scanned it or even rang the doorbell. It's just crazy.

Old thread but I'll add to it.

Aside from higher costs than pre-2020 this is how they deliver and in the condition packages arrive. This is the sirio megawatt 4000 I've been waiting for.

This guy obviously saw the shape the box was in, never scanned it or even rang the doorbell. It's just crazy.
View attachment 67716
Id be on phone raising billy he[[.no excuse to leave damaged packages

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Likely the carrier had no part in the destruction, he's just the last man in so to speak. Hopefully the sender had it insured.
Having carried mail for 10 years, I saw quite a bit of this. The key is the packaging. If you can't throw it across the room when packed, and have it survive, you failed the packaging test. That's how the package will be treated in it's journey to the destination. Sad but that's the way it's pretty much always been. I carried mail from about 1978 to 1988.
The work force has changed too with less caring workers to go along with the temperament of the changing country in a no responsibility attitudes.
I've had some longer packages sent from a dealer that had actually taken the time to open the factory box and add stiffeners to prevent the box from being destroyed. I have to admit I was surprised they did it, but they must have experienced the wrath of onslaught of delivery carriers in the past.
Sorry to see it happen though. Good luck.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Likely the carrier had no part in the destruction, he's just the last man in so to speak. Hopefully the sender had it insured.
Having carried mail for 10 years, I saw quite a bit of this. The key is the packaging. If you can't throw it across the room when packed, and have it survive, you failed the packaging test. That's how the package will be treated in it's journey to the destination. Sad but that's the way it's pretty much always been. I carried mail from about 1978 to 1988.
The work force has changed too with less caring workers to go along with the temperament of the changing country in a no responsibility attitudes.
I've had some longer packages sent from a dealer that had actually taken the time to open the factory box and add stiffeners to prevent the box from being destroyed. I have to admit I was surprised they did it, but they must have experienced the wrath of onslaught of delivery carriers in the past.
Sorry to see it happen though. Good luck.
I got home last night to open it up and thankfully everything inside was undamaged. That was a sigh of relief because the first one they sent got lost and us still mia.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.