• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shop/Workbench

Nov 2, 2015
As I become more and more hands on with my radios, I seem to be be accumulating a pile of stuff that I can't come up with a good idea to keep it all organized. I'm talking about small wires, compacitors, soldering tools, and just miscellaneous stuff that's involved with tinkering with these radios. My shop has plenty of room my workbench just seems to always be covered up. I do understand the biggest problem is probably me butt are there any organization items that you've run across that are ideal for the small miscellaneous parts. This is my first man cave/shop. It's 10 by 16 with one half just for radios. I just seen that now rather than my stuff being organized it's becoming spread out to the other half.

By the way I'm not a tech I'm an electrician that understands Ohm's law and can use a soldering gun. I only Tinker with my own radios.

If this post is in the wrong place please advise and move where it should be

Tom

here's a good shop tip.

if you don't already use a computer desk as a bench (many people do), install a keyboard shelf underneath your desk. they are everywhere so you shouldn't have much trouble tracking one down.

now go to walmart or where ever, and get one of those plastic trays that have divided sections on them. (see pic attached for one example) they are only a couple of bucks.

while still at walmart, buy some small magnets, and some hot glue.

glue the magnets to the bottom of the tray so there is one or two in each section.

now get out your jig saw, and cut a hole in your new keyboard shelf just the right size for your tray to fit in and not fall through.

put the tray in, and now you have a handy place to put small metal objects and they wont fall out when you inevitably bump that keyboard shelf.

and it slides out of the way when you don't need it!

the next big things to get are lots and lots of parts bins. the type that stand up on the desk and have drawers. you can also mount them to the wall.

i use a coffee mug to hold all my small screwdrivers and alignment tools.
LC

Attachments

• Organize-DeskTray.jpg
    Organize-DeskTray.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 8
If you have a shelf you can store small parts hanging underneath it by getting some jars and attaching the lids to the bottom of the shelf, then put your parts in the jars and screw them into the lids.

[photo=medium]130[/photo]
[photo=medium]2768[/photo]
[photo=medium]2767[/photo]

[photo=medium]131[/photo]

Might give you few ideas...Journeyman Electrician here also going on 34 years in the trade
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: RatsoW8
I keep all of my small parts in fishing tackle boxes. I bought several boxes when they were on sale locally. Really helped organize my shop. Now I just need to organize the boxes ... LOL. 73s.

storage boxes.png

Reactions: Grogan

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.