• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Should I add a grounding strap to the antenna mount.

Ok. I had a similar experience and this is what I did to mine in a 2017 Ram. Using the top piece of your mount only bare the metal on the rack and mount it to it with self tapping sheet metal screws then run ground straps from bed to frame, rack to bed and this was my biggest help ground strap from rack to the screw on the 3rd brake light mount! You can easily touch up paint the rack.
I'd like to see what you did for the bond strap to 3rd brake light. I will probably make a custom mount to fasten on top of my rack and extend forward over the cab for more ground plane. Everything will be strapped......Sirio 5k on LMR240UF is my current plan, K30 was temporary.....'17 Ram 2500.

Attachments

• 20201225_130430.jpg
    20201225_130430.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
Well I just finished testing the Larsen 3rd brake light mount with a Wilson 1000 mag mount. Installed the whip, tightened the screws on it. Fired up the radio and kicked on the swr calibration, 1.0 across the board. No trimming of the whip, no adjustments to anything. When I go out later I'll test the swr again in a different location to make sure its good to go. Ill report back once I can spend some time and make a few contacts to see how far it travels, how I sound, you know the normal stuff.

Reactions: Slowmover
This is temporary till the weather warms up and I can spend the time outside to install the Breedlove puck and the Larsen nmo antenna. I dont have a garage so I can't exactly tear apart my truck and take the required time to do it right.

Well I just finished testing the Larsen 3rd brake light mount with a Wilson 1000 mag mount. Installed the whip, tightened the screws on it. Fired up the radio and kicked on the swr calibration, 1.0 across the board. No trimming of the whip, no adjustments to anything. When I go out later I'll test the swr again in a different location to make sure its good to go. Ill report back once I can spend some time and make a few contacts to see how far it travels, how I sound, you know the normal stuff.

Time gets away quick.

You have an external speaker? Higher audio fidelity does make a difference in your qualification of what (or, which) is farther away than the others.

So many poor rigs, in general. Best equipment on your end will help bigly in understanding what you have, now.

I started a thread on the KENWOOD KES-5 speaker. Cheap on eBay, and very defined audio (as distinct from extra-quiet).

Your ears won’t make mistakes.

It’s audio presence is such that under the drivers seat firing forward is a good start.

Very likely you are already familiar with their sound.

I bought five (5) for $60. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Great backup, great gift, and great to hang where it can be heard outdoors

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.