• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Should I buy?

Dave9284

Jan 24, 2007
Hello this is my first post I've been only into AM band until now. Anyhow I am wondering if this is worth it for $120 or not. I can purchase a Yaesu FT101ee w/desk mic, BC2000 base console freq. counter, SWR meter, and a 30 amp power supply. It is all in great condition except for a few surface scratches. Also I picked up a base antenna off of a friend and am wondering if it would be decent for a first antenna. I'm not sure of the brand, but it is 24 feet from mount to tip, when assembled. I was going to wait a couple more months before getting into this but if this is a good deal, I'll go ahead and try to get my license earlier than planned. Thank you

Dave,
It really is a good deal! It's such a good deal that being the skeptical person I am, I wonder why it's offered at that price. If it works at all, it's worth that much. If it doesn't work at all, but if it's 'all there', sort of, you should be able to recoup that amount by selling it as a 'parts' radio. As for the antenna, beats me, no idea what it is, so can't say if it'd work with the 'EE' or not.
Something else to think about is that using a '101 is different than the average 'channelized' radio. Give it some time before deciding it's 'for you' or not. Finding a manual for it should be your very first priority! It isn't difficult to use, just different, so knowing how makes all the difference. (And in general costs much less than not reading the 'instructions - lol.)
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Thanks for the replies. It does all work. I actually just bought it all tonight. My best friend was selling it belonged to his grandfather. He didn't really care what it was worth he just doesn't really have room in his apartment. I know it's a little advanced radio, but I figure for the price it's worth a shot. I'm not sure what brand the antenna is I picked it up off of another friend for free. He used it as a base antenna, until recently. All I know is it's 23 ft from base to top. First thing I gotta do is get the antenna up and go from there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.