• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Side Band Help

Old Goat

Aug 10, 2008
South Central KY
I just got new RCI2995 and I am trying to get started with side band need to know some basics of ssb.First does my clarifier control my voice going out or onlywhat I hear from others. How should clarifier be set to start off.Do not want to sound to stupid never used ssb was into AM CB for a long time now want to try ssb any help will be appreciated Thanks Ray (OLD GOAT) 525

The clarifier you have in this radio will work on receive only. It can be modified to work on transmit as well. But you will need to send it to a shop for them to 'unlock' it to work that way. You probably got this radio used - and if so - it is possible that the previous owner had the clarifier unlocked.

Assuming that it HASN'T been unlocked; just run the clarifier at the 12 o'clock position. If you hear someone that is off frequency - this where the 'fun' begins. You can turn the clarifier s l o w l y until it voice doesn't sound like Darth Vader or Mickey Mouse. If you still can hear a second harmonic in the voice - chances are - you still aren't completely dialed in.

Keep trying, and then listen for his call numbers. Such as '24', '313', or any other two or three number combination he may give. This is chosen by the user, so pick a number for your station and stick to it. If there is someone else that has the same numbers as you do, just say 'this is (xxx) around central Kentucky; standing by' and that should be OK. If someone wants to talk to you, they will call back your (xxx) number. Just respond to numbers as if they were a name - and you are off and running, No one owns the rights to ANY set of numbers, as they are used to just identify a station - that's all.

If the clarifier is unlocked, then it will shift the transmit frequency a little bit as you move it around. This is preferred to have, as many people's radios that you may be talking to aren't always on frequency. Quite the opposite is true.

In addition, the use of Lower Side Band ('LSB') between channels 33 to 39 on the CB band are the preferred channels of use for sideband transmitting. Your radio will go well above and below the normal CB/40 channels available. Generally speaking, 27.555 SSB is an international call station to make a contact and move to another channel.

Another thing to know. SSB transmissions are more efficient with power. You will talk MUCH farther. Personally, I wouldn't turn the RF Output on the radio any higher past the 12 o'clock position. This goes for AM as well; otherwise you will heat up you final output transistors too fast. It is best to run the RF Output between 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock. Set your modulation/mic gain so that it barely gets half way into the red on an external modulation meter. This way, you are sure to have a clear and loud signal for someone to hear...

I hope this gets you started.

Ranger RCI-2995DX Amateur 10 & 12 Meter Base Station from Ranger Communications

Last edited:
SSB help

Thanks for the info that will get me started.I got the 2995 new so clarifier must be locked? Would it be better to have it unlocked or could I work with it that way . Thanks again for the help. Ray (OLD GOAT) 525

Thanks for the info that will get me started.I got the 2995 new so clarifier must be locked? Would it be better to have it unlocked or could I work with it that way . Thanks again for the help. Ray (OLD GOAT) 525
Well 525 Kentucky, it will work fine that way. However, some people may tell you that you are off freq. Which means, that you aren't on the same frequency that they are transmitting/receiving on.

Having an unlocked clarifier means that you can have more 'slide' between freqs and can meet him on his freq. If your radio is fresh and been tuned properly - chances are that he is off-freq; not you! Having the clarifier unlocked is OK to do; although the FCC takes a dim view of it. Truth is, they are wrong about that. Reason is, many radios aren't exactly on frequency from the factory - either.

So, being able to match up to whomever you are talking to is more of a courtesy and an oversight of the FCC when it came to ruling on this issue. Many people have unlocked clarifiers on CB's for that very reason. If being off-freq for too long with a locked clarifier creates too many problems for making contacts; then you may want to get this modification done.

The modification to this radio isn't all that hard to do, making sure that it is done correctly and maintains accuracy is always the issue. A qualified tech with the proper gear can do it in less than 20 minutes or so - if he isn't busy...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.