• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

signal engineering antennas

Jan 15, 2011
i have chance to pick up a lightning 6 just wanted to know if it a good antenna i am running a stack 3 right now, is it worth switching? im new on here. thanks guys -508

i have chance to pick up a lightning 6 just wanted to know if it a good antenna i am running a stack 3 right now, is it worth switching? im new on here. thanks guys -508

What is a stack 3, a three element vertical/horizontal beam antenna?

I believe you'll find they're out of business, and their Website is down also.

lightning 6

i have a chance to buy a lightning 6 brand new in the box. i talked to the guy signal engineering. he split the company sold the mob,side to one guy and the base side to someone else, so they will start to make them again soon. getting back to my question what can i expect out of a lighning 6? a stack 3 is 2 m-103 stacked vert.

i have a chance to buy a lightning 6 brand new in the box. i talked to the guy signal engineering. he split the company sold the mob,side to one guy and the base side to someone else, so they will start to make them again soon. getting back to my question what can i expect out of a lighning 6? a stack 3 is 2 m-103 stacked vert.

You can stack them horizontal also.

508, I'll copy and post my PM response to you here in the thread, OK?

Marconi said:
508 said:
i posted your question on stacked 3s they are 2 m103 stacked vert. do you know anything about lightning 6 antenna i found a new one in box was thinking of replacing my stacks with them

508, I think the design is great, but the kits leave a little to be desired and for sure if you live in an area with high winds, ice, and snow.

I hear that some have some problems fully tuning both sides of this antenna, but the guys I know that have them really rave on their performance and how quiet they are.

A new in the box is great if you're not paying a big premium, and by the way I believe Signal Engineering is out of business.

I do have some of the important measurements on the Lightning 4+ and the L8 in case you need dimensions.

Don't pre stretch the wires or you'll mess up the tune. I can't be sure, but I believe the wire length has been an issue of concern for some owners in the past, so maybe the wires supplied do stretch and that is not good. Just another sign of the SF Quad being a poor kit, with a good design.

At the very least do follow as best you can all the instructions, which for my reading is a terrible set of instructions and all the images are artist renderings, designed to make the antenna skewed looking so as to prevent close copying. That is the mentality of the owner, who wouldn't give out any details to calls or emails even from his customers.

I can't tell you how it would compare to your co-phased stacked M103's, but I believe the SE Quad can be a very effective beam. A good friend of mine lives about 70 miles from me and we talk using only 5 watts sideband...just about anytime we want. Of course the conditions and noise do affect our success or the lack sometimes.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress, and be careful.

I wasnt aware se had mobile antennas,where they any good?

Here is an article written about their GoldenRod 45, which I found to be as noted by both SE and the author of the article. I didn't consider it a drive around model, but it worked great for me and my daddy. SE made two models that I know of, and the only difference was the shape of the top hat. I don't have pictures that I can find, but maybe they will come back soon if the story we hear above is true about some other owners buying the rights to the mobile and base line of SE antennas. The old model is described in the linked article below.

http://www.firecommunications.com/gr45.pdf

I ran a thunder8b for yrs...fantastic antenna...quads dont like Missouri ice strms...hehe like horz antennas.And the mbl antennas where fantaqstic also.Ran them for yrs also...73s de JW

I ran a thunder8b for yrs...fantastic antenna...quads dont like Missouri ice strms...hehe like horz antennas.And the mbl antennas where fantaqstic also.Ran them for yrs also...73s de JW

Oh no I hope my 4 element Hygain Big Gun II cubical quad stays up here in missouri :D

I think it really has to do with the construction of the antenna and not the basic design. 4 element quad on 11 or 10 meters should have no issues if it uses heavy duty construction .Longer spreaders on the 15,20,30+40 meter bands would have major issues no doubt here in missouri

Man I would love to buy a new in box signal engineering 6 element quad to put up for play.

PONYEXPRESS

Last edited:
Oh no I hope my 4 element Hygain Big Gun II cubical quad stays up here in missouri :D

I think it really has to do with the construction of the antenna and not the basic design. 4 element quad on 11 or 10 meters should have no issues if it uses heavy duty construction .Longer spreaders on the 15,20,30+40 meter bands would have major issues no doubt here in missouri

Man I would love to buy a new in box signal engineering 6 element quad to put up for play.
If you want a ruggedly built quad, look at the Cubex.

In January 508 said he spoke to the guy at Signal Engineering. It's almost July and I can't find anywhere to contact anyone at SE even though there's a phone number on their old site (not the 800 number) that asks you to leave a message but I haven't received any replies. 508 if you still have a way to contact the guy find out if someone does plan to open up the base antenna side again. I would appreciate it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

3's

Lightning 6

A friend of mine had a Lightning 6 for years, he talked all over the world with it, and it exhibited excellent F/B ratio and forward gain.
He had a few minor breakages in extreme weather conditions but is still using that bad boy today!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.