• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

signal loss using RG8x with couplers?

xtranaut

Dec 29, 2011
Setting up a 10m dipole w/balun in attic and am going to feed RG8x across 30 feet and down into the wall of my den. I already have 50 ft of coax but will need another 50 and am wondering if using a PL259 female to female coupler will give me any significant signal loss?

Run the coax as near to 90 degrees from the wires for as far as possible.

Every bit of coax adds to the transmission line loss, and every adapter does, too. Is it "significant"? That's your call. Are you sure you're going to need 100 feet of coax? If you run the cable to where you want it and you still have 30 feet left over, cut it to length and install your own connector.

Setting up a 10m dipole w/balun in attic and am going to feed RG8x across 30 feet and down into the wall of my den. I already have 50 ft of coax but will need another 50 and am wondering if using a PL259 female to female coupler will give me any significant signal loss?

Both Ratso and Bettle are right IMO, but Ratso makes a good point. I don't think you'll be able to tell unless your antenna system is very reactive.

I can't say there will be a big difference in performance, but the better match you are able to get with your dipole the less likely you are concerning the common mode currents. The less CMC, the less likely you will need a balun, but installing one on a dipole should not make a noticeable difference either.

Height probably makes the biggest difference using a dipole, and to a point higher and in the clear is better. So, being in the attic might cause some issues. It's trial and error time.

Do you have antenna restrictions near you in Texas?

Are you installing in the attic so you can hide the antenna?

What radio?

Why only 10 meter, do you have room for a larger antenna?

Do you plan on running an amp?

Are you using an antenna tuner?

Have you considered twin lead instead of coax?

I know someone in Texas that is selling an Astron 70 amp power supply if you are still looking for a power supply, he is on this forum.

... If you run the cable to where you want it and you still have 30 feet left over, cut it to length and install your own connector.

BINGO!,.....
and don't listen to some of people that tell you to adjust your coax length for the "best" vswr.

The extra 50 feet of cable you install will have more loss itself than any connector you use to couple the pieces together.On VHF/UHF this is a different thing but for CB go ahead and install a dozen connectors and you will not see any difference in signal.

Reactions: 1 person
I sincerely thank you all for helping out. Sometimes you can over think something or get sloppy and regret it too. Unless I move my dipole closer to the wall that I'd have to drop the feed line through, I will be dealing with 100 ft to get there and to the tuner and that could be minus 10 or 15 feet when it's done. I just didnt want to use a PL coupler if, thru experience, it is shown to have significant signal loss. I got a good picture I think

Do you have antenna restrictions near you in Texas?
I live in the run on suburban sprawl of Houston close to NASA. Seems like it is rare to find a place to live here that doesn't have restrictions and HOAs in this town issue nasty enforcement sometimes. I have seen news stories of liens for flagpole and statuary warnings that were ignored.

Are you installing in the attic so you can hide the antenna?

Hide, no. It is really my ONLY choice.

What radio?

HTX-100 and a friend gave me one of those much maligned Cobra 200 GTL DX 10M radios. I have a complete TS830s Kenwood station that I plan to set up after I initiate TX with the dipole to know if it is going to be adequate.

Why only 10 meter, do you have room for a larger antenna?
I have a technicians ticket so it is my only opportunity to DX beyond Texas. I am boning up for a General but right nowm it is mainly 2 and 10m for me.

Do you plan on running an amp?
No -not in my budget right now. Just want to get a signal out and see where that takes me.

Are you using an antenna tuner?
yes, I have an MFJ949e and the Kenwood AT-230 for my 830

Have you considered twin lead instead of coax?
like Ladder line? yes... can you use the pl-259 connectors? I have seen lots of talk about them on boards and splicing into short lengths of RG8X to satisfy the rig with a 50 ohm load. I know it is the preference of many to be worry free about SWR and possible RF damage. I have never used it. I am using a plain center fed with a 1:1 BALUN cut for the center of 10m at 28.400. Because of the configuration of my attic and available truss supports I might be doing an inverted V

I know someone in Texas that is selling an Astron 70 amp power supply if you are still looking for a power supply, he is on this forum.
That is a brute. which? the RS or VS? Meters? I am only doing 25 watts on the HTX... 130 on SSB on the GTL but if I ever get it all set up (find the room) the 830 might could use that ASTRON in long-winded jawjack mode. Kind of budgeting on PS too and thinking about the Alinco switcher. Despite all the NOs on switchers for HF, I have read very good reports on this supply and it is only 130 bucks on sale right now. How much does he want for the Astron?

hionestly I went from 30 feet of coax to 130feet with 2 barrel connecters in the mix to put the pieces all together an did not notice any signifighant difference in my set up when I switched from out in my garage to in my office with all the extra coax and connecters. obviously there was an increase in feedline loss due to the added lentgh but it isn't noticeable to me.

I use PL-259 connectors all the way up to 2m without an issue. I am sure I could gain an extra dB if I used type N connectors but what will an additional one dB do for me into the repeater? Nothing is what it will get me. However if I was more into 2m SSB weak signal work that extra one dB may be the difference between a new grid square or not.When the new antenna system goes up in the spring I will use PL-259's on HF and likely 6m as well but I will likely use type N connectors on 2m at least for connections outside the shack as I have a lot more type N connectors for the LDF4-50 heliax cable I will be using than I do PL-259's. It makes sense to use them where it will make the most difference.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated