• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Silver Bullet 1000

North Texas Mudduck

Apr 5, 2005
whew this thing is giving me a headache
just about ready to throw in the towel
i have a 72 inch whip screwed into the top of it and they say to turn up the volume and listen for the increase in volume
this should get my in the ballpark and so i did volume came way up
so im thinking in the ballpark
but the swr is still out past center field
cant get them below a 5
also checked other bands and still above a 5
any ideas
or thoughts

What Band are you operating on?
What is the mounting setup ?
Listening for noise will indeed get you in the ballpark, but you will still need to use an SWR meter and fine tune the antenna for lowest SWR.
Give us as much info as you can.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
well just trying to get up and going on 40 meters in the mobile

solid puck mount with 3/8-24 thread
in the ballpark noise level ration hmmmmm
im not to sure about that
after running up and down the coil several times i kept coming up to the same spot
for 7.203
well then hooked up the mfj and it was close????
it was in the 10mhz area
thinking about just going to a high serria or a screwdriver
going to be doing some more researching

One thing you might try is to move/wrap/position that 'traveling lead'/shorting wire the same way for every change. Winding it around that coil adds to or subtracts some inductance from what would be produced by the un-shorted coil turns. Or don't wind that shorting lead around the coil at all. Looks sort of ugly, but makes for an easier, less additional random inductance.
- 'Doc

(If the shorting lead is wound in the same direction as the coil turns you are adding inductance in parallel. If opposite of the coil windings you are 'removing' some inductance. So don't 'wind' that shorting lead at all.)

Reactions: 1 person
another 4 hours of trying to tune
and using other stingers from 38 to 102 inches
cant get below 2.5 and a 3

so trashcanning this thing
moving onto a Tarheel 40a-hp with ch-b and 6 foot whip
should have done this to begin with

Tuning sort if like an air variable tuner?

"To tune your coil simply slide the tuning coupler up and down the coil until maximum noise or signal is received. Fine tune for lowest SWR, and using the Nylon bolt, lock down the tuning coupler to maintain your low SWR. Unlike other coils, using the nylon lock down bolt, your antenna will stay tuned thru high winds or mobile vibration. Easy to install using standard 3/8 24 antenna mount."

http://youtu.be/Z3M9y12fNrA

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?