• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Silver faced President Jackson

here is a controlled carrier mod for the Jackson radio. I have 2 of them and the mod works just fine. will give more modulation on AM and increase the carrier.
some radios will not have the cap across tr36.

if you want to wake this radio up some so it is better on AM there is a easy mod to help it out.
leave the limiter in tack .
remove the 103 capacitor from the legs of TR36
lift one leg of R179
solder a jumper to the cathode of D55, banded end.
solder the other end to the base of TR36 which is the leg closest to the rear of the radio
on mine it will dead key 2 watts on am and swing to 30 watts with a strong audio or whistle.
the radio is a lot louder on am now.
average watts while just normal talking is about 12 watts

Last edited:
for a little more audio you can change 2 resisters
audio inhancement
change R258 to a 1.5K
change R261 to a 3.9K or a 4.7K ,I use a 4.7K

now just check and you will see a improvement of the radios output. peak it and it will come up even more.

If you are looking to find an AM monster in this radio, then I'm afraid that you have struck out.
However, if you were looking THE best SSB radio,; then you hit a grand slam homer.

The AGC mod is a necessary mod for this radio receiver section. It really must be done o it. Read back a few posts on this thread and it is there.
Rob exactly what does the AGC Mod due and where is it located and where can I find out more info on it . Thank you

this info is on page one. it helps the RX of SSB the most. prevents the overloading of the RX.

remove C31 (.47uf )

change R43 (10K) to 1k

change R41 (150K) to 270K

change R47 (1.5K) to 3.9k

for some strange reason the maker got the agc timing wrong from the outset and never bothered to rectify the situation throughout the production life of the jacko,
the above mod from lou franklins book fixes it nicely, i have done plenty for locals over the years, without the mod they are useless for talking to very strong ssb stations locally or in good dx conditions,

Reactions: Fred Spoon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.