• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Simultaneously Testing the Ears!

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
If I wanted to test the Rx of multiple radios against each other, could I simply use an SO239 T-connecter and Listen to both radios on the same antenna system? Or would this not be a good idea?:confused:

If I wanted to test the Rx of multiple radios against each other, could I simply use an SO239 T-connecter and Listen to both radios on the same antenna system? Or would this not be a good idea?:confused:

you wont hurt anything by doing this, just DONT KEY THE MIC!!!.

as long as you are just receiving, you'll be fine.

now, as to what you are trying to test for, your results may or may not be as accurate as you are hoping for.

if you just want to see the difference in how the radios sound, then this will work.

if you are trying to find out which receiver can "hear the furthest", then this test is less than ideal. how much less i really cant say.

what you are doing is presenting a 25 ohm impedance to your antenna, and the receive capability of the radios wont be the same as it would be if it were just one radio connected to it.

there is an item that will do what you are looking to do, but i dont think they are very cheap.
its called a "duplexor" and its used by hams to run two radios on the same antenna, or vice versa.

do a google search on them and you will learn how its done.

since it will be safe to try, please do try it and post back your results.
LC

I wouldn't do that, what I have done was record (use my cell phone for recording video) each cb radio and me talking explaining things to myself as I go for each radio, no radio is the exact same for reception and ears, I have 4 radios and all hear a little differently and for DX this is amplified as far as ears goes, just because you can hear someone don't necessarily mean they can hear you, but if you just want to listen then that's another story, but I've found that if someone hit's me with at least a S-5 they can and usually do hear me, a lot depends on your antenna as well, I have a ground plane at about roof level soon to be up about 30' to see if it helps the ears better, it may or may not help, but I have a power line close that I need to get above that I think affects my ears at times as well as the noise/static level. Skip here lately has been terrible and most of the time to much static to hear anyone and if I do it's Puerto Rico and I can never hear who he is talking to altho I have talked to him and I guess by now everyone has as he calls himself The Needle Bender and has been on almost every night this week on 38 lsb.

Good Luck
73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.