• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Singing ferrite....

144inBama

Apr 22, 2020
Lower Alabama
I hooked my Palomar up because I was doing a wire upgrade on the TS. Keyed up and heard what I thought was relay chatter... Low, med, high... Preamp on off... No difference. I'm trying to figure out wth I did to cause this. Adjusted the DK, no difference... So I have the rear seat up, knee deep in this thing and key up with my ear by the box. Horrible buzzing sound so I unkey... Key again, same thing.... So I remember the ONLY thing I did was snap this ferrite on the power wire at the box. Holding the ferrite, I key up and it feels like a mad beehive. Removed the ferrite and the problem was solved. Have any of you run into anything like this? Not gonna lie, that choke would have been the last thing I would have ever imagined. Did the wire upgrade on the TS and just for research purposes, I put it on the TS and it did the same thing.

Attachments

• 20200613_165459.jpg
    20200613_165459.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Put the core over the positive and negative cable if possible. The ferrite will be more effective and make less noise if not saturated by DC current.

Put the core over the positive and negative cable if possible. The ferrite will be more effective and make less noise if not saturated by DC current.
That one is only large enough for a single 8awg, I have a couple large enough to do that ....I may play with that this morning.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.