• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 827 noise floor issue

Prof. Base

Oct 20, 2021
Had a Spectrum 1600 and performed well. Receive was good and quiet on non active channels. Replaced it with a Sirio 827 and wow..noise floor is S4 on all channels 1-40, regardless of activity or time of day. Antenna is mounted on a 30 foot tower. Everything is grounded and coax is LMR 400uf. SWR is flat and all connections are clean and tight.
Nothing is different except the new antenna. Is this noise floor just something that I will have to get used to?
Thanks.

Turn the gain down? My mobile Sirio is a receive monster so I have the RF gain down a bit. Worth a shot.
Ya. I've been padding the gain to lessen the noise. I'd still like to know if anyone has had this base antenna problem and how they solved it..if ever.

You're assuming there's a problem. Currently the solar reports have A index at 12 but more importantly K index is at 4 with a noise floor of S3-S4. So with the K index that high it's going to be like HF has been turned off so you're not going to be hearing much more than local but you'll have a higher than normal noise floor.

You're assuming there's a problem. Currently the solar reports have A index at 12 but more importantly K index is at 4 with a noise floor of S3-S4. So with the K index that high it's going to be like HF has been turned off so you're not going to be hearing much more than local but you'll have a higher than normal noise floor.
This noise has been ongoing for about 2 weeks since the antenna was installed.

This noise has been ongoing for about 2 weeks since the antenna was installed.

It could be that you're finally hearing what is truly out there. My Sigma Silver rod 5/8 was the first antenna I installed in THIS house, had 5 to 7 S units at all times, and on occasions had an S9. Had my Sirio 2008 up for a couple of years now and the noise is down to a 4 or 5 but I can hear stations over the noise that I was not able to hear previously.

It could be that you're finally hearing what is truly out there. My Sigma Silver rod 5/8 was the first antenna I installed in THIS house, had 5 to 7 S units at all times, and on occasions had an S9. Had my Sirio 2008 up for a couple of years now and the noise is down to a 4 or 5 but I can hear stations over the noise that I was not able to hear previously.
Noise was reported to City Public Energy...my electricity provider. They came out and hooked up their spectrometer to my antenna coax to "hear what I hear." It took them about 2 weeks to fix the issue of power line noise. Turned out to be faulty/failing transformer connections 3/4 of a mile from my house. I'm now down to S1-S2.....except when my HVAC blower fan turns on. Then it's up to S4, but I fixed that issue with a couple of Mix 43 ferrites on the fan's power wire and thermostat wire.

Noise was reported to City Public Energy...my electricity provider. They came out and hooked up their spectrometer to my antenna coax to "hear what I hear." It took them about 2 weeks to fix the issue of power line noise. Turned out to be faulty/failing transformer connections 3/4 of a mile from my house. I'm now down to S1-S2.....except when my HVAC blower fan turns on. Then it's up to S4, but I fixed that issue with a couple of Mix 43 ferrites on the fan's power wire and thermostat wire.

Your utility company should thank you for saving them a catastrophic failure.

The tech, Bryan, did thank me and said that he will do a follow up in a couple of weeks to check and make sure that the problem is still "fixed."

I had my city crew here checking every pole for a 2 mile radius when
I first set up. They found a handful of issues which knocked the noise level down considerably. BUT, never did get it all. I'm at a constant 5 or so, sometimes worse. The Sirio antenna did help, though

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.