• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio Gainmaster - Dimension required

VintageTin

Aug 17, 2013
Hi there,

This question is directed at anyone who has a Sirio Gainmaster in a position where they can measure the length of the mounting tube protruding below the locking ring located under the RF Choke. I have just got one of these and the supposedly factory fitted grub screws are missing and the choke is free to move up and down the mounting tube by some way. I assume that the length could be critical, so before I tighten everything up, a dimension as indicated on the attached picture would be gratefully received.

sirio.jpg

Clearly I don't expect anyone to take their Gainmaster down, but there just maybe someone who still has their's waiting to be installed who may be able to help.

Thank you

Thank you guys for your replies, but I had looked at the info from Sirio that you posted and I would only be able to get the length required by fully assembling the antenna and measuring the overall length. By the time the tape has fallen of the end a couple of times and it has bent around the choke, I thought there may be too much error.

I did post the exact same question on an another forum (casting my net wide :tongue:) and luckily someone had one in a convenient location and told me it is 34cm so, unless someone knows different, I shall thank you all for looking and thanks again for the replies.

Malcolm

Malcolm, I think about 13" - 14" is about right, but don't depend on this unless you are left hanging with no fix for your problem.

On the last link above it clearly indicates the base mount is 35-54 mm, but I don't understand how the metric measurement notations are indicated, and I don't know what the 54 mm notation is all about. So I could be wrong.

The mm designation looks to me like a typeO, and that dimension maybe should be cm instead of mm just like your information suggest above. But regardless, I think 13.75" is about right length for this part.

Where the coil goes on this aluminum pipe maybe should be set flush with the top of the former for good construction purposes, and maybe there is supposed to be a set screw at the top too. If so, then maybe that was tightened up there before the coax was added. If so, you likely won't be able to fix that.

I would mention that possibility with Sirio when you contact them, and if they confirm this other set screw...then I would ask them to authorize a replacement of the whole antenna. Stuff like this should not happen.

Have you contacted the seller?

so maybe you can sorta' measure the length of the former and set it accordingly.

Hi Marconi,

The 35-54mm dimensions refer to the diameter of the mast that the antenna mounts to.

The 34cm dimension I got from the other forum was measured from an antenna that was installed as received from Sirio complete with screws so I am confident that will be OK.

In my antenna, the fibreglass and the aluminium stub are firmly attached to one another (interference fit I imagine) and the screws that were missing on my antenna fixes the coil relative to both stub and fibreglass. These missing screws appear to be the only thing that sets the relative position. At rest, the coil (without the screws) is almost exactly 34cm which is another reason to accept the figure as correct.

If I had made a fuss, I guess that I could have got a replacement but, as a less costly alternative, with my agreement, the dealer did send me a couple of screws and a key. It wasn't the dealers fault as the box was in pristine condition when I received it so I am happy enough with his response.

Thanks again for your input

Malcolm

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.