• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio Mag Mount Recommendations?

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Hi guys, thinking of pulling the trigger on a Sirio Performer 5000. I see that they make two mag mounts for them. What's the difference between the 160 PL and 145 PL magnet mounts they make? What about servicing/changing coax? Has anybody used them and can offer insight?

RT307

I can't answer your question, I've never had anything to do with this antenna/mount. Try 'Googling' for the information.
- 'Doc

I've already done that... only thing I can see is that the one is 145mm diameter, the other is 166mm diameter. However, that does not mean the bigger one is the stronger one. I may email Sirio, but was hoping to hear from some folks that had used one first hand.

I also learned that DNJ Radio is at the same address as RMItaly.US, which I did not know before. They are the only U.S. distributor that sells RM Italy/Sirio equipment besides H and Y.

RT307

i have not used the sirio antennas yet,,,so hope this helps, if not someone should be along later with some help.

In the sirio catalog they list the 145 and 160 mag mounts on page 35, you will have to scroll down to find the information

Sirio Antenne - Download Catalogue

From what I can see in the catalog, sirio recommends either the mag 145 pl or the mag 160 pl for the performer 5k.

the 145 has a ferrite magnet and is just a hair smaller than the 160 which is magnetic rubber

Looking them up on-line, and with the bigger magnet only being $4 to $5 more, I would go with that magnet. I can't speak to the magnets strength, but I can say it will provide better coupling to the vehicle and affect the tuning of the antenna less than the smaller one.

The DB

2RT307 What about servicing/changing coax? Has anybody used them and can offer insight? 73 said:
the 145 is easy to service/change coax,

remove the 4 screws around the so239 and lift the top plate,

make sure you don't lose the rubber o-rings,

make sure you assemble it the same way it came apart, don't turn the plate,

some people lose the ground connection by not putting the top plate back in the same position ;)

Reactions: 2 people
the 160 mag is a low profile lightweight mag not imho suitable for the heavy 5000 antennas unless you are driving miss daisy,

the 145 mag is imho the best single magmount on the market, it has a metal slug inside the magnet for better coupling,
stronger and better performing than wilson mag or turbo limpet style magnetic mounts.

Thanks bob85.
Good useful information.
I appreciate information like this and the people that go to the time and trouble to share it with the group.

Radiooman

bob85, you're my hero. (y) That's the info I was looking for. Originally I thought since the bigger one was newer and more expensive, that it might be a better way to go. But it didn't appear to be serviceable like the 145. Great to know!

Thanks and 73,
RT307

I haven't tried the other magnet but I finally posted up some info on the 145/5000 combo on my website.

'Bout time, Brew! :D Glad to see it posted up. I've decided to make the purchase (finally). Now to figure out if I want to try this DNJ Radio/RMItaly.US company or not. Maybe if I go with H+Y, they'll give me another mis-pull and send one of those Black Cat amps that disappeared off their site. :LOL:

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe if I go with H+Y, they'll give me another mis-pull and send one of those Black Cat amps that disappeared off their site. :LOL:

RT307

Maybe if you send the S meters back telling them they screwed up, they will send you the antenna this time instead of your lights. Then you wouldn't have to pay for it. Keep trying long enough and you might trade your way into a new radio for the cost of a few lights.

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.