• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SIRIO SD-27 Dipole

I think you are the one that needs to read it John. If you had, you would see I have valid points that are being "danced around."

I don't dispute that you do have some valid points,only that the cash that thing costs is almost 3 times what it costs to build one! I've been building my own antennas,some of which I still use since '87.
n9zas

What happened to the price of antennas

I have been out of the radio hobby field for a lot of years. There were lots of reasons for being not on the air, sure missed the fun of contacting those long distance ground wave contacts as well as the skip contacts when the conditions are right.

Years ago bought two 3 element beams from radio shack and built my on stacked 3s. That is to this day the best antenna system I have ever had. I was in the military and got transfered and sold my entire system. I could talk to and receive signals from people so far away that my buddies in the neihborhood kept asking who are you talking to. One friend lived about 1/4 mile away and when I pointed the antenna away from him he barely moved my s meter. I only paid 40 dollars for each of those antennas.

Now a simple 3 element beam cost more than a 100 dollars more than that.

So anyway that brings me to the sirio dipole. I bought one to see how well it is made and how it tunes. Using just the pipe I had lying around today I got it in the air with the bottom of the lower element about a foot and half off the ground. I am able to hold a conversation with mobiles that are 12 to 15 miles away. After I get to the store tomorrow and get some more masts to get it up in the air where it belongs there is no telling how well this little thing will talk.

So the plan is to use this dipole as this basis for building my own 3 element beams and getting another one of the dipoles since I now know that it is worth the money and getting them stacked again. This is a high quality piece of work.

I just couldn't see spending over 140 dollars for a three element beam so now I will get them for the cost of a dipole and some aluminum pieces that I will get the fun in building my own antennas.

Just found this thread here and thought I would pass on how well made the antenna is and at least one idea of what you can do with it besides talk on it as is.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Reactions: Slowmover
Welcome to the forum.

Sirio makes an inexpensive 4 element horizontal beam. The model number is the Sirio SY27-4 and the cost is $139 from Copper Electronics. It might not be as good as your stacked beams; but the price is right. That is, unless you've written off beams altogether at this time.

Other than that, there are a lot of threads on this forum about making dipoles and beams. Use the 'search' feature.

Thanks for the welcome, I guess I missed that one in my hunt for an inexpensive beam. Will have to check that one out for sure. Thanks for the info. This is my first time on this forum, will have to look around for sure seems like lots of good info on here.

lazybones how ya like that dipole?
have u ever compared it against say a a99/imax
i dont doubt what u say. i know peoplle that make
them and talk to me 50 miles away.im curious
if they are bleedsticks like the a99/imax

Hey Hotrod, I have used the antron A99 and I really never liked it very much. It always seemed to build up static electricity and was noisey. I have used a Ringo years ago and it was a much better antenna than the antron. I went from the Ringo to a superscanner and that was a very good antenna also. Later I went to a set of stacked 3s and a ringo for omni use. I now have just gotten the Sirio installed and it works very well. All of the antennas I have used have been very quiet not generating any noise inot my radio except for the antron. I had to install a lightning arrester on my coax with the antron to discharge the buildup of static electricity to keep it from arcing inside my radio. More wind and more buildup. Got rid of that thing.

Well I finally got the antenna up in the air where it is clear of obstructions and the swr check just barely moves the needle off the 1:1 mark. It makes great contacts on DX just made one to 576 in R.I. just the minute on 39lsb. Have talked over 25 miles to a mobile on AM. Try to get that person to borrow one of my 148 gtls to see how far we can get on ssb. Hopefully can get that done in the next couple of weeks.
Anyway it performs well, looks good, and was farily easy to set up. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good inexpensive omni with very low noise on the receive side. It makes my old radio perform like I just bought it.

Sirio D27 dipole

Bought the Sirio D27 dipole antenna from HY Electronics about 2 months ago all in all about $75.00 with shipping and handling. I sure wish I would have purchased this antenna a long time ago it's just a damn good antenna. I used to have it on the pole but then mounted it against the chimney and up a little higher. I live in Florida and have made contacts along the east coast and up through Canada. Have made contacts in Oregon, California, Texas, Iowa, Minnesota and the Dakotas. Across the pond to Northern Ireland, England, South America and the Falkland Islands. Have it hooked to my RCI 2970 with a 1:2 SWR great antenna in the horizontal position can't say enough good things about this antenna. SWF 409 said that! **Jump_im**

Reactions: Slowmover
Just set up a new one of these, Been about 7 years since the last time. Had to shorten the end pieces for 10/11 band - I shortened by pushing them in further and drilling new holes rather than cutting. Under 1.5 through 10/11 and flat on my preferred channel. A nice antenna for the price. I’m running flatside for DX.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.