• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio sy4 beam

Nov 2, 2015
Hello I'm about to put my beam up and just decided that I may want to go vertical. I do enjoy talking long distance skip but the times I'm able to talk are at night. There are alot of folks in my area that are about 100 miles from me that when conditions are good I can talk to them on my ground plain (imax2000) but that's rare. Everyone keeps telling me that if I go vertical I would be able to talk to them all the time. I know my best option is to have a quad but I'm not able to do that right now. So my 2 questions are

1. Can the sirio sy4 be used vertical?
I can't find any good information about this. These beams are new with the manual but unable to find a stright answer.

2. What is your opinion about vertical vs horizontal?

Thanks.

73s

I would mount it horizontal. After it hits the sporadic "E" layer polarization of the signal becomes ambiguous to the receiver. Horizontal is less noisy at all times, at least I have never heard it get noisier. If you talk to a lot of mobiles locally vertical.

dxChat
Help Users