• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Skip Shooter Antenna

http://www.copperelectronics.com/cgi-bin/discus4/discus.cgi
Anyone ever used one??

An operator I use to hear/talk to all the time named EW in this area use to work one of the 7' foot Skipshooters (SS) on the trunk of his mobile. If this is true, then I recall that it worked very well for him. He was just about as strong with his mobile setup as he was on his base whether local or DX.

However, I think I've also heard that the company has changed hands and that the new production may not be as effective as the older Skip Shooters, but I don't know from experience either.

The following article claims the SS is very high in efficiency.
Click here: http://www.copperelectronics.com/articles/big_coil_antennas_exposed.php

If you get one keep us posted.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
One thing worries me about the test:

"Before any measurements were made, each antenna was carefully tuned on the same ladder rack mount"

Probably the worst way of mounting an antenna. The problem you have is a poor counterpoise/groundplane/whatever and this would hinder a more efficient antenna. The more current and therefore more electroncs that can flow in an antenna, the more it needs to be able to draw from and return to the other "half" of the antenna. If the "other half" of the antenna is incapable of supplying a sufficient amount, the overall efficiency suffers. You could therefore then feasibly end up with the situation when using a poor antenna mounting system where a crappy lossy antenna performs nearly as well as the most efficient.

I ran a 4.5 foot SS antenna on my 1975 Freightliner for a few years (1980's). It worker very well giving me better performance than the K-40 and Firesticks that I replaced. The old ones were very good. I can't say how well the new ones work.
As for Paul's (Tech 833) report all that I can say is that Paul is a Ham. And he does install TV and Radio station antennas around the world Professionally. He has a antenna test site where he has tested many types antennas for several years. I would put stock in what he says just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Hello,

Frequently myths are based on "others" where they say :
well he said so ..and he knows !! so it must be accurate.
Sadly, we all are humans and we dont know all.... and we can make mistakes.

So does he..
I can remember a topic on that forum about a quad, where someone explained to him it is not the number of elements but boom length that primairilly provides gain.....But he is not allone, so do guys like Cebik, w8ji, etc...We all do.

The "trustworthy" depends on how often it happens.
The "honorabiltily" of such a guy depends on how he reacts (or not)

Go after facts.
And the fact is...

(m0gvz :said to worried)
Before any measurements were made, each antenna was carefully tuned on the same ladder rack mount"

Looking at the facts provided...he has a legitimate reason to be so.

Rough rules for picking a mobile antenna:
Go for the longest one you are able to handle on your vehicle.
with equal lenght : pick the one who can handle the biggest amount of power
And you are getting close to what is "best" for your situation.

Kind regards,

Henry.

Last edited:
I ran a 4.5 foot SS antenna on my 1975 Freightliner for a few years (1980's). It worker very well giving me better performance than the K-40 and Firesticks that I replaced. The old ones were very good. I can't say how well the new ones work.
As for Paul's (Tech 833) report all that I can say is that Paul is a Ham. And he does install TV and Radio station antennas around the world Professionally. He has a antenna test site where he has tested many types antennas for several years. I would put stock in what he says just my 2 cents.
These old threads are GREAT!
Especially, if you're like me and first time reading them. I too have a 4.5 ft skipshooter I use with a spring and 3 mag mount on top dead center of my 2002 extended cab pickup and it is a great antenna. Tuned SWR to 1.1 and 1.2 from 1 to 40. Great local talker and I've done quite a bit of DX'ing with it also.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.