• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Skip shooters swr adjustments

Cody Dixson

May 3, 2020
I finally got my hands on a pair of skip shooters and got them on the truck after about 2 hrs of messing with them back and forth ive found myself here to see who knows where I'm messing up. The swr reading on ch1 and ch 40 are a 9 which doesn't give me alot to go off of as far as adding length or lowering goes. My grounding could be better but I haven't had an issue with other antennas such as the Francis. Amy help would be appreciated as always
1127 northern Arkansas

@Slowmover I've tried the nail at all different lengths started with it all the way in and then pulled it out half an inch at a time but still no luck. It's on the fld. I think it's a ground issue or lack of ground should I say, the Francis fiberglass had a perfect 1:1 match on 19 after being cut. The reception is amazing even with such high swrs I pick up alot more than I did on the Francis

Reactions: Slowmover
@Crawdad I've only got one connected at the moment with 50ohm coax
In a 98 Freightliner fld120
Still waiting on the 75 ohm to arrive.
The passenger side is just up for uniformity lol

Reactions: Slowmover
Roger that Cody. All I would add is to check your 50 Ohm for continuity of each conductor from end to end, no continuity between center conductor and shield and make certain that your antenna mount is well grounded.

Would also add, like Greg T posted, tune one antenna at a time with 50 Ohm coax before connecting both antennas with your 75 ohm harness.

Like Slowmover always
says Www.k0bg.com is a treasure trove of mobile install info.

73 and good luck with your install

I am requesting 1.2 million dollars from the Biden Administrator to determine what type of nail in the tip of a Skip Shooter antenna produces lowest SWR and greatest RF field. If figure the project may last at least 5 y/o. I am currently awaiting the grant money to purchase some depleted uranium from Iraq to draw up some nails for testing. All joking aside the Skip Shooter is a wonderful design that tunes very easily with it accompanying nail. Last time I used one was a 4 footer on a hood channel mount on driver's side of a 1994 Ford Explorer. It tuned below 1.5 SWR and that's not ideal location. I agree that you have a dead short somewhere, most likely the coax.

@Crawdad I've only got one connected at the moment with 50ohm coax
In a 98 Freightliner fld120
Still waiting on the 75 ohm to arrive.
The passenger side is just up for uniformity lol

Oh yeah, one other tip. Try to do your tuning in an open area away from other trucks, buildings, metal structures, etc. that can reflect/skew your radiated signal.

@Slowmover @Crawdad 10-4 front door I'll do some investigation on my coax and do some more test! I'm currently waiting on some 322401 coax to come in from what I've seen and researched this stuff is bad to the bone! @secret squirrel I'll start the petition then we'll get some real results! Screenshot_20210802-223056.png here's a screenshot of this gift from God just in case y'all wanna look into this coax.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-223056.png
    Screenshot_20210802-223056.png
    207.7 KB · Views: 4

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.