• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Skip?

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I was told skip is few and far between currently? Is this just temporary conditions or are we in a long bad cycle? I've made 1 contact so far in about a week to Florida on my way home from work at 5am...haven't heard much either..

I was told skip is few and far between currently? Is this just temporary conditions or are we in a long bad cycle? I've made 1 contact so far in about a week to Florida on my way home from work at 5am...haven't heard much either..
Read this and you will know more than many.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/hobby/FDIM81.pdf

Yep, skip for 10/11 meters is in the toilette. The MUF that is referred to is the Maximum Usable Frequency. There still is long range communications available in ham radio through the "Gray Zone" propagation, and other methods.

Last edited:
11 meter still opens up about every other day although we are at the low point of the sunspot cycle. The sun still ionizes the atmosphere allowing long distance communications. I live in MI.

Last edited:
11 meter still opens up about every other day although we are at the low point of the sunspot cycle. The sun still ionizes the atmosphere allowing long distance communications.

That depends where you are. More northerly locations get much less skip. If you check out MUF maps you can see the MUF drops right off as you head north. I am at 45 degrees and 10/11m almost never opens right now.

here where i am at in florida we get a lot of weather related skip,,,, ducting almost happens every evening up to cheasapeke bay area for a while,, and sometimes when fronts come thru it will get active any where from texas to the mid west,,,,the last few weeks ohio indiana illinois and west virginia will come in for a few hours about 10 oclock pm,,,it is a constantly changing event,, just never knoow what to expect,,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.