• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Skipshooter Antenna Nail Rust!

Is there a solution to the rusting problem with the adjusting nail on a Skipshooter antenna?

JD
When I was running a Skipshooter I noticed the same thing. I went to the local hardware store and got a stainless steel screw around the same size and used it. No more rust and worked just as good.

When I was running a Skipshooter I noticed the same thing. I went to the local hardware store and got a stainless steel screw around the same size and used it. No more rust and worked just as good.
Stainless was my first thought as well. Next thought was how it would affect the tuning but looks like you covered that too. Good info to know. I've got a 6 footer still in the pvc pipe that it was shipped in so when it comes out it'll get the stainless nail mod!

Reactions: ForestRunner98
This topic had been heavily discussed and I am sure researched by NASA employees on off duty time. I believe that the conclusion was that a nail forged by the Eltri the Dwarf, from the realm of Nidavellir, in the heart of a dying star will not rust and procedure the lowest possible SWR reading.
I do not want anyone to read this the wrong way. I have tested just about every type of nail and screw I could find that would fit in the top, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Brass, I had not tried a gold Titanium plated drill bit section, but the thought came to mind. Last time I had a Skip shooter I had used an Aluminum nail in the top. I just happen to have one on hand that would fit.

Last edited:
Yup gotta get stuff together, new antenna, mount, etc. They threw me out of the Freightshaker and stuffed me and my crap into this................
View attachment 60256

JD
The Volvo has a better cubby for a radio and better position for the antennas as well or at least they used to.

It's always a new radio adventure when you're assigned a new truck, especially a different kind of truck. Seems like just when you got everything ironed out then they decide to give you a different one.

The Volvo has a better cubby for a radio and better position for the antennas as well or at least they used to.

It's always a new radio adventure when you're assigned a new truck, especially a different kind of truck. Seems like just when you got everything ironed out then they decide to give you a different one.
Yup! One saving grace, I hope, is Volvos tend to ground better than Freightshakers. Gonna try mounting the antenna off a bird perch on the back of the sleeper. Tried a Z-perch off the mirror bolts and didn't like the situation. Too weeble wobbly for my taste. Maybe with longer bolts it would have been okay. Not taking a chance on having to explain why the mirror is falling off a brandy new truck! The quest begins anew!

JD

Would No-OX work on this problem seeing as the tip of the antenna is always out in the elements?

JD
I don't know why it wouldn't last for several years at minimum. I've use it on every antenna connection and set screw I've touched for at least a decade. If it is in a cavity or between threads or a similar place, it won't wash out. If you smeared it on the outside of the antenna it would probably be gone in a few months.

Reactions: secret squirrel
I have a 7 ft skipshooter now with the nail rusted in and I'm afraid I'll pull the head off or twist it off trying to get it out. And that's after soaking it down with WD-40 a few different nights. Very stubborn.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.