• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

skythumper n/c mics

I tested the 56, 636L, and the ST 65. No comparison the skythumper was way louder than the other 2. The 56 and 636 sounded good but not in the loud category like the ST 65.
The 56 and 636 felt rugged and were great to hold but just don't have the punch.

On that test on CBRT "Mic Shootout"....the tester was holding all the mics 4-5 inches from his mouth which definately is not the way to use a noise cancelling mic.

i also checked out the mic shootout and i preferred the Skythumper which i run myself and i like the Astatic 575M6.he did have all mics at that distance from his mouth and with the mic gain set.it still gives ya a idea on the audio of each mic.the test probably would of been to long to post using the sweet spot on the mic gain for each mic.

skythumper mic is ok but compared to 636 or rk56 with the mic gain turned to over half way or higher the st65 picks up more background noise than the 636 or rk56.i have all 3 mics and the 636 works best on my general lee.

een these mics at sparkyscbshop was wondering if anyone has
owned/tried.looks just like a rk-56 which is my personal favorate
bought my st65 from sparkys cb shack,it okay but mic gain turned past 1 o clock it it starts to pic up bg noise that noticeable during transmission. it's been collecting dust for the past 4 months.:thumbdown:

I personally have a 636l,RK56,Astatic Road Devil,Skythumper,Ranger SRA-158. I have ran these microphone for over 3 yrs in a tractor switching them out and here are the opinions of trusted drivers who have good external speakers and are not tone deaf. The 636l is a good priced noise cancelling mic with a natural tone(maybe a little high pitched) and is good through out mic gain min and max. The RK56 was very good well built but had a lot more bass and almost all said it did not sound like I was standing next to them like the 636l. The road devil is a power mic and I could not turn above 1/3 on the slider before it picked up to much background noise(only turn all the way up if the radio is tuned and not overmodulted, otherwise it sounds nasty). The Skythumper has had great reports for audio quality, a little light feeling but I cracked it open and no one has mentioned that the parts are quality made. The CDL 56 knock offs have cheap plastic switches and tend to give out; not the skythumper it has a quality metal switch just like the RK56 and 636L and soldering it fairly good and the mic head and plug end were pretty much top notch. The Ranger SRA-158 is a great ceramic mic element with a basic plastic switch with a 3oz lead ingot attached inside for weight; but it is probably considered one of the best stock mic you can put on a radio. The cord is good quality and mic head and plug are wired very well; only draw back is it that the mic element is very sensitive. Well that is more than my 2 cents; but this was a real world test of them and I opened every one of them to see the quality and my opinion is not biased it is honest.

I wanted to add some more opinions on the Skythumper. I still recieve compliments on its sound and clarity, I use it with my General Lee(Peaked by Sparky) and once in awhile I will switch it out with my rk56 and 636l. They all said switch it back to the Skythumper and it was not just on that radio it was also on several Uniden 76 and Cobra 29's. Now for the bad news, you know that quality metal switch well its not that great after all. It is a copy of the old ARK-LES ones in the older rk56 but much cheaper and it started to crackle after awhile and the spring got a little to springeee-if you know what I mean. I would definitely buy this mic, but would immediately remove and replace the switch to a rk56 or 636l one. That is my only complaint and I use this thing everyday 11-12 hours a day and I talk alot. Could you have guessed that from my writings. I hope this helps.

I have a Sparky Cobra 29 Stealth and I run the Skythumper on it. I've gotten great reports on it as well. I don't use that mic on every radio, but on my work truck It's the skythumper. In my mobile on my 959 I used a D104m6b.

Now this is what I like to see.....I come back "Home" and find "good reports" outside of the "sales" office...
Sparky has a great "rep" and customer service BUT to come here and continue to read positive things ,a SkyThumper will join my collection soon.....

Snoope back quiet

I've went out and did some recordings from the mobile back to the base at a 10 mile distance.
Running a stock galaxy 88, I tried the 636,red devil, rk56, d104mb, dm452,ec2018,stock mic, and the st65. When I got home and palyed back the recordings, I was really surprised to hear that the st65 really was one of the louder, cleaner sounding mics out of all of them, not THE best one, but it did hold it's own ground. I'm setting up here to do a new test with new mics and different class amps here hopefully this weekend if time permits. Maybe use a stock 88, stock 148, stock 959, and 2950. AM vs- SSB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.