• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

skywalker mosfet amps

B

BOOTY MONSTER

was looking at their mosfet amps and i was very suprised by their wattage claims vs. price for both base and mobile amps . for example a 550-600 watt 120 volt base amp for $330 or a 850-90 watt base amp for $400 . even if they are only good for half those ratings at those prices they seem very cost effective .

does anyone know or have any ideas on what bias they have ? what mosfets they use ? the accuracy of the power claims ? how durable they are ? and what their customer service is like if theres a problem ?
Skywalker Electronics

Hate so say it...Many have blown up....2 in my area....a 2 and a 4....they only ran them at normal volts....also whole they where running, they never saw the watts they claim.

Hate so say it...Many have blown up....2 in my area....a 2 and a 4....they only ran them at normal volts....also whole they where running, they never saw the watts they claim.

I don't have any personal experience with these amps, but I have read the same thing on another forum. They would be great if they held up and produced the watts advertised!!!!:oops::oops:

oh well.................. i was hoping the mosfet amps fared better than their regular pill boxes . if it was clean and would hold up the "900 watt" base for $400 would be a killer deal . even if it did half of that and had a proper bias it still wouldnt be a bad watt per dollar deal on a base amp .

was just curious .......

Yup thats the 1 mack....thing blew up 3 times...on the 3rd time..he refused to fix it. Had linearone redo the whole thing over, there pics of it reworked. this is what he redid to it

I added a soft start, the correct style caps, put new rectifier bank in on heatsink, all drilled and tapped 10-24 should he ever need to replace it, reversed the fans, moved the transformers around for room, rewired it, used 1/4"x3/8" solid copper bus bar, crimped and soldered all connections, used teflon wire on transformer primarys, new switches, redid the meter calibration circuit (would do this different on a board if I had to do it again), upgraded to some huge freaking cable Yota supplied, put some ferrite and bypass caps in lots of places, put dual fuse holders on it, turned some fat insulators for the outputs on the lathe, all hardware is stainless throughout. .... what else? I dunno.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.