• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small Radio

jbo

Sep 27, 2005
Oscoda MI
Looking into getting a small radio for my trail jeep, I have a grant xl, cobra 148gtl, and uniden 76xl that I use in other vehicles but I don't want to put any of those big radios in my cj. What is a good small radio that can be made to talk loud and have a good range on it. Will probably be using a 102 whip with it. Haven't decided yet though. Also thinking a 4 ft fiber glass mounted somewhere. Thats my options for antenna anyways.

Thanks
Jbo

Thanks for the idea highlander but going to stay am. No need for the others as the people I tend to talk to don't use anything but am.

Mini Mag. It can do just 11 meters or have something like 400 channels and packs 30 watts of mosfet power in a small package.

my idea of a good small radio
is the Icom 706 MKIIG or IC-7000
but that is me...lol

it has many channels though.....lol

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
my idea of a good small radio
is the Icom 706 MKIIG or IC-7000
but that is me...lol

it has many channels though.....lol

yea, the control head of such radios is smaller than any CB.
Its just not for somebody whos only interest is 11meter AM, to much $$ just for that.

Just Barefoot Am, most of the small Uniden radios are fine....510 or the 520 or the Cobra 25LTD is a good little radio.
Used, the Uniden PC 33 is a tiny radio with a big punch, and a used PC 122 is a great rig if you think you might want SSB.
If you just use it on the not-so-often weekend trip or 1/2 mile up the road trail rig any of these would be fine.
Do not expect the newer small radios to "tune up" to any great level, most just do what they do.

Jeff

http://www.cbtricks.com/forum/index.php?topic=452.0

Realistic TRC 485 SSB radio, did NPC mod, wired a 4 pin mic jack AM-DK 2-3 watts swings 12-15. SSB 12 watts.
no mic....
$58 shippe & insured.....

Money order.

IMG_1807.jpg

post-24-1168567222.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.