• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Smaller Antenna

FinestBH

Jul 11, 2011
New to the forum (and new to hams), and I've got a question about my new Yaesu VX-8DR... I love the radio, but the antenna is a little large to make it convenient for me. I realize I'll be sacrificing performance, but I need an antenna that's considerably shorter than the antenna that it comes with. I plan on performing the out of band transmit mod in the near future so I can use the radio as a backup at work (mostly in the 155.000 to 157.000 range, but occasionally in the 430.000+ range). Are there any shorter antennas that will work well without sacrificing too much in the way of performance?

That antenna is already pretty small. Loss of efficiency could make it ineffective too. Just limiting your range further if you do make it smaller. The bandwidth of usable freq's would also be reduced as well.

Isn't that freq range in the marine band?

I agree the antenna it comes with is "pretty small", but I need something smaller (for concealment)... Those frequencies are indeed marine frequencies, but I also need to transmit on some work freqs a little higher than 157.000 (hence the need for concealment). I'm not TOO concerned with lack of range, I'm never more than a mile or two from a repeater. When transmitting on ham freqs I can always switch back to the full size antenna.

Concealment?
Hmmmm ...
An antenna doesn't have to be rigid either. It helps for efficiency; but it can be flexible too. And therefore longer if you route it properly. Can't touch the skin though, as this would negate the transmit and give a shock/burn. Because it can be made longer if flexible; does that help out what you are trying to do with it?

Remember; that a really short antenna will be less able to utilize a wider use of frequencies. If just using one frequency; then the antenna can be short - but very inefficient. It will still need to to be properly tuned for that freq, or it will eventually ruin the output transistors. You can't just use any random length - it must be 'tuned' for the freq that is being used.

I ordinarily don't post my employment info on a brand new forum, but I'm sure you guys can figure it out (backup radio for concealment, my screen name, the frequencies I need to transmit on etc). Alot people don't like us, so the fewer that know what I do, the better. Back to the antenna discussion...

I can understand your reluctance. I can also understand your employer supplying any required communications devices.Good luck.
- 'Doc

My employer provides us with 40 year old Motorola Saber's (the OLD ones, that Motorola doesn't even make anymore). They're CONSTANTLY breaking, which is why I like to carry a backup. I have a Yaesu VX-2 that I used to carry, but the antenna broke off it during a "scuffle" (which is why I bought the VX-8DR)... I work in plain clothes primarily in the subway, every underground station has it's own repeater. Our "street-side" counterparts are issued their own BRAND NEW UHF radios, but us transit guys are stuck with 1960's VHF technology... The "City" I work for doesn't think it's cost effective to replace the entire underground VHF system with something more reliable... Back to the antenna discussion, can anyone recommend a smaller "concealable" antenna for the VX-8DR that won't burn up the transmit transistors?

can anyone recommend a smaller "concealable" antenna for the VX-8DR that won't burn up the transmit transistors?

You can take a look at these:
MFJ
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1719S

Comet
http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=1&childID=4

Have a look, they seem to be what you are looking for. I have no experiance with these but for short range communications they would fit the bill. If you go this route, let us all know how they work for you.
Cheers :D

I have the Comet MH-209 SMA. It's very small, flexible and soft so it doesn't poke you in the side if you're wearing it on the belt. For very close-in type communications, it works OK.

Just remember, that antenna may not work for the other bands the radio operates on so you don't accidentally want to key up on 6 meter or 220 with those antennas connected to the radio.

@ Depark... Thanks again for the info.
@ Moleculo... That's the same one I went with.
@ Happy_Hamer... I'm going to try to fix the VX-2, I'll let you know if I'm not successful.

Get one of the Wouxon KG-UV2D radios. They are Part 90 approved and don't cost a heap of cash. They are sold here in the USA by a number of ham stores and can easily be modified from the dealer set ham bands to operate in the Part 90 range of frequencies. In fact get a bunch of them and trash the busted old bricks. :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.