• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SMOKIN JOES ELECTRONICS

gary mitchell

Jan 27, 2021
Sorry if in wrong forum but first found this place and.....

Smokin Joe's Electronics.

I had some good questions and now I find he is dead. grrr sorry for that....

He helped me in the past and at least to me he knew allot about cb radios and amps and even amateur radio stuff.

He took forever to repair something but never ripped me, etc.

I just got a RM Italy amp from somebody. The HLA 150 PLUS. I just wanted it for a QRP amp and the few reviews seen it was AOK at 90 or maybe 100 watts. (signal quality) 160 meters-10 meters.

NOW the price I paid it might be fried. Who the H fixes RM ITALY amps ? Everybody in CB has an amp ?

The same old nonsense. Can not be sold to USA so that helps. (I am not supporting the usage of CB amps)

I have a verifiable Amateur Radio license so I thought it might be a plus for QRP things here.

Every radio usually needs service sometime.

In the CB world who would repair these things (probably all you get is..can't touch that....)

The thing has all kinds of filtering but probably no FCC approval over that 100 watts + = bad output.

One can buy one on Ebay for a high USA price. Might as well buy an approved amp at prices seen.

o--I thought I might have gotten a bargain.....grrrrrr

=

Reactions: Slowmover

Thanks for info.

This model has all kinds of filtering in it and the few tests seen the signal is as pure as other amps if you keep it at 90/100 watts out.

The big stink is it is not USA approved so repair/service.

I did not pay much for it but why do many cb'ers sell amps ? (fried them)

160-10...90/100 watts seems it would make a nice addition to radios here. (for QRP stuff)

I have a few marine HF radios and service them ? Still working on that. One can only be made to transmit amateur bands with a modification using Windows 95. Don't ask me why but that is the word from everybody.

I used to use SMOKING JOES ELECTRONICS. The guy was really smart and just saw he died from a heart attack just last few days.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1