• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So this is the plan.

gasbag

Mar 9, 2012
Mars
Standard old TRC458 <== got it, want it brought back to spec.
RS SWR meter <== got it
Maco M103C Horizontal <=== sturdy
CHANNEL MASTER 9521 Rotor Mounted a couple ft above an existing 10' mast a top of my house. (5' tripod, w guy wires) Puts it about 32ft up.
Inverted Vee from the pole as a sort of omni. (essentially no cost. I like that)

I'd be on the air after nearly 30 years for a couple hundred $$ with the expense being in the antennas which is where I feel I get the bang of my buck.

SOME INFO: We live on a rise. 50' South the ground drops off steeply another 30' to a large body of fresh water. N andf E it drops off about 20'.
We are flat to the West.

Sure I know,, 4 elements, big omni, HAM rotor, higher location, but,,
As an old time DXer this sounds like a pretty kewl budget minded QRP shack.

What ya think?

The inverted-V near the horizontal antenna could distort the pattern and cause SWR problems. You might also want to break the guy wires near the top into non resonant lengths with insulators.

For omni work, I'd go with a vertical above the beam, something along the lines of a Shakespeare BigStick or an Antron 99.

Thanks for the input of the wires. I see that only as an issue for the location of the dipole or is that a concern for the yagi also?

I can actually run the dipole/vee about anywhere. I fear the vertical above the beam would tax the rotor and also add to the cost, I'm putting the vee up on the rare chance I'll talk local. I live about 5 miles from the nearest town or interstate so 4W am or 10W SSB on an omni isn't going to open up a world of local contacts.

Trying my best to use what I have or can build. Thats the fun of it this time around.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.