• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So what Baofeng to buy?

NightOwl3261

Jul 24, 2020
I am sick of reading reviews. What is the best, or best Baofeng bang for the Buck for 2 meter work and as a general coverage receiver. Short hand me to the right model please...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I bought a uv5r about 5 years ago, and it still works fine. the battery still stays charged. Be aware of clones, as china copies everything. The worst thing about a baofeng is getting the programming cable to work with your pc. But once you get it lined out, chirp works great, and so does the baofeng.

I bought a uv5r about 5 years ago, and it still works fine. the battery still stays charged. Be aware of clones, as china copies everything. The worst thing about a baofeng is getting the programming cable to work with your pc. But once you get it lined out, chirp works great, and so does the baofeng.

You do know that Baofeng is 100% Chinese right? :LOL::ROFLMAO: In fact Baofeng itself actually copies some of the Yaesu and Kenwood radios but makes them with cheaper parts.

there are zero Baofeng clones out there, Baofeng make them all and other companies out there just put their name on them. Yes they will put cheaper parts in some but all are made by Baofeng(or its parent company).
Now which one to buy? I have an 8 year old 5r that is still working perfectly. The 9r is a nice sized radio that fits the band nicely. Skip the Nagoya antennas as they are all just copies of Diamond and Comet ones . I only use www.smileyantenna.com antennas, hand made here in the USA.

My vote goes for the uv5r. All the cheap China stuff is crap so you might as well buy the cheapest one. They are still $20 after TT&P....tax, tariffs and pandemics. I have one that I rarely use but it works as it should.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.