• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solarcon A-99 Problem

KAP68

Feb 8, 2012
Hello good people. I just received my new Solarcon A-99 today. Happy as could be, I carefuly unpacked it, assembled it, and mounted it to a temporary mast for testing. Upon keying down for the usual swr test, my swr meter shot of the scale. Long story "short", it turns out that there is a dead short in the antenna.(continuity test proved) Just want to know if anybody else has had this problem or am I missing something about this antenna? I would like to know before I go through the rash of sending it back. Thank you.

They will read a dead DC short. This is normal. Hope you didn't try to re-tune the tuning rigs on it. You need to have it mounted on some 15+ ft of steel mast; then re-test. W/O a 'ground plane kit', they will need the mast to work as a counterpoise. Make sure that it is in the clear and not being affected by nearby objects. Check you coax too - to make sure this isn't to blame either. it could be a defective antenna; but that would be rare - IMO . . .

Coax is 50 ft of rg-58. Center conductor to center conductor(50 ft) reads 2.8 ohms and center conductor to braid is infinte. Antennas center conductor to ground(male thread) is 0.3 ohms.

I had a Bandit ll that did the same. The problem was the soldered joint that connects the inner wire in one of the sections broke loose.

I'll try a good ground for antenna.Thank you so much for the feedback fellas! Peace to all of you.

I'll try a good ground for antenna.Thank you so much for the feedback fellas! Peace to all of you.

The A99 should work fine without any physical ground you might install, and grounding will not likely fix your problem with high SWR.

The ground suggested in the Solarcon manual is probably a good idea for safety however.

Reactions: 1 person
Thank you for the reply. Here is the latest. I have two antennas. A 1/4 wave ground plane and my new solarcon. The 1/4 wave works very well. Low swr and when I power up my amp everything works fine. Now, when I switch over to the solarcon,same radio, same coax, same everything, the radio ( Cobra 148GTL ) by itself transmits fine. When I power up my amp, no output. When I switch back to the 1/4 wave, all works fine again ,radio and amp very low swr and full output. Keep in mind the only thing that changed was the antenna. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. Here is the latest. I have two antennas. A 1/4 wave ground plane and my new solarcon. The 1/4 wave works very well. Low swr and when I power up my amp everything works fine. Now, when I switch over to the solarcon,same radio, same coax, same everything, the radio ( Cobra 148GTL ) by itself transmits fine. When I power up my amp, no output. When I switch back to the 1/4 wave, all works fine again ,radio and amp very low swr and full output. Keep in mind the only thing that changed was the antenna. Thank you.

I would just forget about the A99, and try to get an exchange or your money back.

Reactions: 2 people
Just unscrewing the coax from one and screwing it in to the other. I hope I'm just overlooking something stupid/simple.

you could unscrew the top two a99 sections and measure them for dc continuity from top to bottom. if one is faulty then send that part back.

If you're just changing antennas, same feed line,etc, where/how do you have them mounted? Within easy arms reach, have to climb to them??
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.