• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solder quantity on PL-259 centre pin...

It is a nice feeling to know you have done everything you possibly can. RG58 is garbage. I even use Super 8 to feed my tank whip, sure it is only 3 meters of cable but why aim low when you can aim high ? The main reason why I bought new coax is to have a run without a Gorilla glued choke in it for my Gain Master which has a choke built in.

Why is it especially a waste of money for static mobile ? I cannot think of any reason why, neither can I think how adhesion of foil to inner conductor insulation magically stops foil from stretching, if it is adhered to the inner conductor insulation it is equally likely to stretch as the inner insulation bends. (If you are incapable of careful handling which I should be able to)

When I operate I am often listening to signal on the edge of human hearing ability buried in the noise floor, often more noise than voice, S0-R2 copies are very common for me (one example is speaking to someone with a magnetic loop in their loft 50 miles away - barely audible to me - because I bothered that person made a long distance copy for their situation.) I live in a operational world where you can only hear partial overs 20pct the time, I actively seek this kind of contact (because QRP, long dx, pedestrian or other mobile/static mobile is interesting copy to me). As an example over 150-170 miles line of sight contacts which are quite regular so any reduction of loss is important because then you are never thinking "I wonder if.." The chances are 0.165dB is not going to be the difference between a copy or not. However I never "wonder if" because I have got the best possible setup for the money I have available. That means something to me and is worth the small cost, especially since I needed new coax anyway.

In the same way I never wonder if because my SWR was too high, or if I did not get my antenna as high as was practical, or because I did not check my QSY frequency before moving, or because I used a lesser antenna, or because I did not clarify the voice every time (which becomes critical at miniscule signal levels), or I did not have my external speaker plugged in (which is also critical at small signal level) or if an extra coaxial choke in the feeder kills my RX at all, or because my sectional poles have not been sanded recently, so they make good electrical contact with each other. I like everything just so, that is the way I do things and how I like it. I have controlled what I can control.

I do the best I can because I enjoy it, it is fun, that is the goal, not less. I never wonder why I could not get through or hear someone. I know that the limits are then conditions, distance or the radio fundamental RX capability.

The plugs I have are not Amphenol but I can feel the high quality, very weighty, thick, robust and with gold plated centre pin contact.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.