• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Some newbie questions

Barkoff

Oct 12, 2008
Hello all, new to shortwave, new to the forum.

Recently on a camping trip I tired of fading AM signals at night, and vowed upon my return I would try to find a good AM radio.

In my search I stumbled onto the C.Crane radios and decided to give one a try. After looking around the site I decided I might as well try their SW model. More than likey this is a lower end radio for shortwave but what the heck, I have always toyed with the idea of buying another SW since my old Transoceanic took a beating.

A few questions, will this C.Crane radio rival the old Zenith in performance?

The C.Crane is on back order so I do have a little time to change my mind I suppose, do you all feel this is an OK radio, or am I making a big mistake?

I have been reading a little on this forum, I would be good to make my own external antenna with a forty ft piece of wire and an alligator clip, ot a matching plug for the back of the radio?

I want to stay with a starter radio for now to make sure this is something I'll enjoy. About ten years before mt grandfather dies he asked me if I wanted his ham radio, since I live in a housing track I knew a big tower like his was out of the question, and I didn't have any room to set it up, so I declined. He sold it, now I sure regret not grabbing it and just storing it for the day I could set it up.

W6WTB72.jpg

Last edited:

SW Receiver

The C. Crane (the CC radio) is a good portable dependable receiver...nice sounding audio and a decent front end for listening to Am/SW broadcast signals.
However unless they have changed the receiver in the last year or so...it does not have a BFO which allows you to listen to Single Sideband...which may not be a big deal to you...but not having a BFO or SSB capable will only allow AM reception, you will not be able to listen to most Amateur bands if you desire to do so.
There was a few years ago some SW broadcast stations experimenting with Sideband operation (but not sure if there are still any) and you could not receive them on the CC Radio (they would sound garbled).
I have seen somewhere on the web someone was building a Add-On BFO for these, just do not remember who it was right now.

I own a couple of portable receivers I like:

1. a Sangean 808 (I think)about 10 years old and works very well...nice audio/frequency memories.and nice tuning setup...I think you can still find them used for around $50-$100 when in good condition.
2. Sangeon 909 is a newer smaller version, I like and can be purchased through Radio Shack under the RS label. This is the one I bought a few years back. I like it very well, though I do think it is a little hard on batteries compared to the old 808...but the bigger older version uses "C" size and the 909 uses "AA" size.
I use the wall wart AC adapter when listening at home or when camping where electric is present to save the batteries. I have also rigged up a big 6 volt "Gel Cell" battery to power on weekender's for the picnic table operation.
I have found both to work well with just the pull-up whip antenna for most listening...but improved performance is possible using the external antenna jack and a 30ft+ to ??ft long wire tied up to a couple of trees.
You can also get excellent results with a table top "Active Antenna" available from a couple different Mfg.'s...these add a little extra cost but can be an excellent accessory for listening(check them out).
Just my thoughts...
The CC Radio is a GOOD one!
(I think Sangean makes it under the C. Crane label), but it has some limitations for my use.
Enjoy...
All the Best
BJ

I don't have one of those radios so can't tell you anything about them. I can tell you that it's doubtful if it's going to be comparable to that old Transoceanic (depending on the particular model)!
'BJ radionut' is right, not having SSB or maybe FM capabilities is definitely going to cut down on what can be received. No idea if that will affect you, or how much. The typical short wave receiver just doesn't 'do' all that can be done, all the different modes, etc, until you start getting into what's commonly called a communications receiver, and some very high prices. Not exactly a 'beginners' receiver, sort of. Good luck and have fun!
- 'Doc

The antenna you mentioned ought'a work just fine in a general way. Most receivers are much more sensitive than's actually required, so you might even have to shorten it, what'a concept!

Thank you for the combacks. As of right now, I have read their is no SSB on the Crane, but for the most part I just want to listen to news and music from other countries, and take the unit camping.

If I find myself wanting to listen to amateur radio I could see investing in a larger and better unit, but for now I'll just start with the unit that gets good AM station clarity, and one that allows me to play around with shortwave.

The transoceanic I had years ago was the 7000 model, so after all these years, the TO would still outperform the CC Radio? I would have thought years would have brought advances in shortwave sensitivity.

Thank you for the replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: