• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Some type of fraud or just ignorant bidders?

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
These radios sold retail for $230 and are about worthless to collectors. Kind of hard if not impossible to believe what these radios sold for. I know 2 of them have been won and then relisted 3 times already. The used ones have sold close to $300, I have a feeling these idiots are either congressmen or senators the way they spend money so foolishly.

Cobra 200 GTL DX Nightwatch ^ NEW ^ - eBay (item 170622937803 end time Apr-08-11 18:00:29 PDT)

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=290550111025

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=300541806267

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300541803718

Last edited:

I've been to many public auctions and what ratsow8 says is spot on, but there are so not so trustful peeps in the egay world.

I've been to many public auctions and what ratsow8 says is spot on, but there are so not so trustful peeps in the egay world.

$341 for a NOS Cobra 200 is like our government spending $300 for a hammer that will drive a couple dozen nails and then start falling apart.
The red flags are the bidders with single digit feedbacks. The way ebay blocks out the buyers info from other potential buyers only benefits the fraudsters. That radio will be up for bid again if some fool doesn't take it on a bogus second chance offer.

Auction frenzy. I've seen bidders pay MORE than retail price for a used radio for whatever reason.

$341 for a NOS Cobra 200 is like our government spending $300 for a hammer that will drive a couple dozen nails and then start falling apart.
The red flags are the bidders with single digit feedbacks. The way ebay blocks out the buyers info from other potential buyers only benefits the fraudsters. That radio will be up for bid again if some fool doesn't take it on a bogus second chance offer.

What they say is correct psycho. I watched a NOS Cobra 2000 go for over $1000.00 one time. It was not a shill bid, the people that were bidding on it just thought they could not live without it.
I have what could be called "eclectic" or "eccentric" (or maybe even dumb-ass) tastes by some when it comes to the type radios I choose to collect and I have seen some radios that I would think that no one in the world (other than me :D) would pay more than $25.00 for go for more than $100.00.
I have seen some shill bidding go on and if I think it is happening, I will report it to eBay but most of the time Beauty and/or value are in the eye of the bidder.

You have to wonder if some of those winning bidders have a Homer Simpson moment after they paid $1k for a Cobra 2000. Oh shit, I paid how much!!! Doh!!!

I did that once and only once and got lucky. I was a few 807's into the wind 5 years ago when I bid $450 for a Kemwood TS-440AT from a seller that had only 1 feedback point on their eBay account. They advertised it in unknown condition from their late Grandfathers estate. It looked to me in the pictures that the rig was never used so I bid and won. Sure enough the rig was mint and had never been used at all. All the accessories were still sealed in plastic. I got lucky.

I think alot of it is people get that itch for something like there first radio they ever had or that there late father use to have and they just got to have the damn thing and bid whatever it takes to get it.

Last edited:
The bidders that give me the hebeejebees are the ones that have 0 feedback and have bid on 30 or so different things and usually from the same seller and usually towards the last hour or so of the auction. Looks like they are just trying to drive up the price or something. When I see that going on I just stop bidding.

The bidders that give me the hebeejebees are the ones that have 0 feedback and have bid on 30 or so different things and usually from the same seller and usually towards the last hour or so of the auction. Looks like they are just trying to drive up the price or something. When I see that going on I just stop bidding.

Those are the auctions I report to eBay when I see them. In a heartbeat.

I think alot of it is people get that itch for something like there first radio they ever had or that there late father use to have and they just got to have the damn thing and bid whatever it takes to get it.

I would pay $1000 for an actual NOS Cobra 2000 with both speakers unused in the box before I would pay $300+ for a well known problematic radio.
I did pickup a couple of NOS Cobra 2000s on ebay in 1998 which work perfectly....thinking of auctioning them off. Not a screw has been turned.....Do I hear any $1000 offers? I'll take paypal (I'll even eat the 3% charges and pay the shipping).
I recently saw a bottle of Mobil 1 10w-30 sell for $10.00 plus $6 shipping on ebay....not collectable, brand new!
$175 for Palomar 225s.........$190 for used Outcom 250s....but a NOS Colt 485 Mobile Black Shadow sold for $60 (I won that)?

uninformed or ignorant!

:D50 million hispanics in this country now! How is our bankrupt government going to pay for all the babies and their babies and then their babies?with the same 50 millon hispanics tax payers!(y):whistle:

That is called "shill bidding", I saw it happen on an auction I was winning at a good price, I reported I to Ebay, and they advised me they were ending the auction and warning the seller.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.