• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

somebody please come up with some hacks for FRS/GMRS "blisterpack" radios

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
Turn a pot to deviate frequency, add a bnc connector without ruining the plastic shell, hack the firmware, press a combo of buttons to make it rx or go out of band, come on, there must be something devious to be done with this little toys, as for most of the applications they are marketed for, they suck so we reprogram UHF 'business radios' to talk on their frequencies instead.

yeah thats easy hacking the spectrum, but i wanna hack the little radios which is the whole fun of it

Best possible 'hack' for those things is with a chopping axe. It just wouldn't be worth the trouble.
- 'Doc

Make a real antenna for it ,six and five sixteenth inches . GOOGLE an antenna calculater for the correct lenghth. it makes a differencs !! Made mine from an old 3 sixteenth plumig snake . nice and flexable coverd with shrink tubing Mine are COBRA PR 3000 radios.

Last edited:
If you want a radio that is capable of doing illegal things, buy a radio that was specifically designed to this this. Buy a ham radio! Regardless of what the band limitations of these radios are, nearly all are designed to do exactly what they are not supposed to do. It takes extra time and money to make the software flexible enough to do this and you have to plan ahead for the feature. GMRS and FRS radios are bare bones equipment without these options.

guess these little radios are too lame to be hacked. I read somewhere there was one frs/gmrs that could be made to scan about 5 or 10mhz of the uhf band.
i know dude, its easy to clip a few diodes on a vx-7, buy a motorola commerical radio and programming cable, or just buy a chinese "ht" for $60 on ebay with full coverage from 400-512mhz out the box, all these would work very well on frs/gmrs, dot frequencies, etc.

there really is no point to hacking a frs/gmrs other than somehthing to do. they are generally much less output, even on frs, typically less than 400mw, some might even be technically under part 15, and very few put out more than a watt on gmrs. i'me just playing with toys, just fooling around with whats in the junk box.

the receivers stink too.best mod is to leave them on the shelf at wallyworld.
or give them to the kids so they can talk to their buddies 2 blocks away on a good day.

For the money they are fun to mess with. I wish they had a mag mount antenna port for use in the car. Even if it was a small 8-10" antenna being on the roof would really help.

Reactions: 1 person
I dunno about 2 blocks. I have 2 GMRS rigs, one is a 'blister-pack' Midland MXT90, and the other is the Anytone 778 dualbander (only use it for GMRS, and monitoring 2m and 70cm), and with either of these radios I can hear a GMRS repeater out on Long Island from Rhode Island, which has to be 25-30 miles, as the crow flies. Over water? Yup, sure is, but I can also monitor a 2m repeater from the same locale in R.I. up in Vernon Ct., and some nights I get at least 9s on that signal. I've got a high-gain mobile antenna with a GPK about 18 feet in the air on a repurposed flagpole...don't rightly know if that's why I can hear these distant stations, or my location (75ft A.S.L.), but have talked simplex to another GMRS mobile setup about 14 miles away in Ct., and get anywhere from 2 to 4s on that station, if he's parked.
WRAQ431 S.W. Rhode Island

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.