• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Son of a Gunn

jgar

Dec 28, 2011
Dalton Georgia
I got a JOGUNN son of a gunn for christmas anybody know anything about useing my new antenna on 11 meters??? I allways wanted one now everyone says its not for CB...What can I do??:confused:

i1005190.jpg

JGAR SON OF A GUNN

Product #:1005190

Description:
FREQUENCY RANGE: 26.000 - 29.500

*GAIN: 7.75 DB
*MULTIPLICATION FACTOR: 19X
*POWER RATING: 2000CW. 4000 PEP
*WEIGHT: 14 lbs.
*LENGTH: 26 feet
*MATERIALS: 6063T-6 Aircraft Aluminum Tubing
*REQUIRES 1 COAXIAL CABLE FOR HOOK-UP

No problem using it on 26.965mHz to 27.405mHz at all. Whoever told you that didn't look up the specs as I posted here. You will have to tune it for length for the CB band. But the instructions should tell you how that is done. Or call Joe Gunn up yourself if it doesn't.

Reactions: 1 person
It will work just fine on CB, open it up and follow the instructions for building and tuning the antenna in the manual.
Who ever told you it is not for CB is a nutjob.

Jeff

It is a 10 meter antenna $419.00 wasted Unless one of u guys can help me I am stuck with a antron..:headbang

It is NOT strictly a 10m antenna. It MAY BE tuned for both a 10m - or 11m - depending on how it is assembled. It will work BOTH. Read the instructions!
:bdh:

Seems VERY EXPENSIVE for just a 5/8 wave antenna.
Better be silver plated for that price.

Go READ this.

http://www.jogunn.com/images/sonofagunn.pdf
The reason they say ""not for use on 11 meters'' has more to do with the ""No more metal CB antennas rule" than anything else.
Build the antenna as instructed and follow the instructions for setting the SWR. (the part where it says that the SWR is set by moving the strap up or down)
it will work anywhere from 26.000 to 29.500 and CB is 26.965 to 27.405

Jeff

( I love the part were it says that the swr gets lower the longer you run it)

jgar

I have read the instructions 50 times there is nothing about 10 or 11 meters I have it togather and tryin it out My antron out talks it..I should have wished 4 a penatrator.......my swrs are 1.9 any help will be appricated Thanks...

Did you try adjusting the Gamma? Did you See the part that says That the pre set adjustment is a STARTING point and SWR adjustment is made by sliding the STRAP up or down
As you slide it up/down it will adjust the SWR of the Antenna........

Jeff

JO GUNN

Thanks Jeff,...Its not a total loss...does anyone know of any Adjustments like makeing the elements shorter or something.. my antron still out talks it,,I got the swrs down to 1.6 I could give a Great testamonial For solarcon...THANKS AGAIN....LEE

You can try extending the vertical element a little bit and re tuning the Gamma Match.
Also I would give Joe Gunn a call and tell them what you are using the antenna for and see if they offer any help......for 400+ dollars they should offer some customer service.......in fact they should offer a lot of customer service.

Jeff

Jgar, a buddy of mine has one of these JG antennas that he got to working. The antenna had been previously owned by two other guys before, and neither was able to get it to work good enough for them...for some reason.

I think the instructions may be vague and the owners are pretty much left to tuning from scratch. A tunable antenna that is adjustable over a wide range of frequencies, with little frequency related preset advice in the instructions, can be difficult. I recall they also got little to no help from the manufacture, which may be due to the legal issues already mentioned above and a new owner. You need to read the instructions very carefully, there may be more info there than you realize.

There is more to tuning a 5/8 wave, but some will tell you that this antenna is a simple matter of setting the correct lengths or maybe any length for the radiator and radials. Then all you have to do is simply adjust the gamma to the lowest SWR. That may be true, but that is not always as easy as these words would suggest.

Here is what I know about this antenna. The antenna elements are all pre-drilled and bolted together. So, the preset lengths for radials and radiator are set by construction and you don't have to measure. Exception is the top element is adjustable over a some range, maybe a foot or two.

The gamma match dog bone, the rod bracket that connects the gamma rod to the radiator, is to be placed between two small dents in the bottom element of the radiator, and the gamma rod is then adjusted up and down in the other end of this rod in order to set the match.

When you tune the gamma this close to the ground and elevate the antenna up higher, the match (SWR) is bound to change, so tuning at installed height is recommended, which is not always possible. By now you are seeing a little of why guys might have problems.

If you are able to set the match close to the ground, and after raising it you get a close match, then you might have to make a very small adjustment to the length to get the very best tune possible. At least try this first, before re-adjusting the gamma match and go the other way or pass up the sweet spot altogether. When you get close to a good match the steps to a perfect match are very small.

Tip: If you finally get a good match and won't to get it even closer to 1.0:1, I would tend to adjust the radiator tip element in <=1/8" steps going longer, since a gamma match is a capacitor and making the element longer is adding inductance. Gammas tend to tune an inductive (longer) element nicely.

Good luck and don't give up yet.

I got a JOGUNN son of a gunn for christmas anybody know anything about useing my new antenna on 11 meters??? I allways wanted one now everyone says its not for CB...What can I do??:confused:

Jgar, did you get the antenna instructions with your JG? My buddy that has one brought a copy by today.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.