• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sonar FS 2340 40 channel 1960's cb

oil2gas

Apr 5, 2010
Here is your chance to own a rare and hard to find Sonar FS-2340 and matching equipment. SuperTech out of California has just gone through the radio and accessory and it all works as it should within specifications.
All tubes were pulled and tested. All tube sockets were cleaned. All controls were cleaned. All light bulbs were taken out , sockets cleaned...Capacitors were tested on our meter.
The radio was aligned for transmit and receive. A new plug was put on the microphone. The equipment tested well on the bench as well as on the air. All the lights work. I will also include PDF versions of the owners manuals on a cd.
If your local to Texas Gulf Coast please feel free to stop by and try out this wonderful radio. If not bid with confidence. Read our Ebay feedback we are very proud of it.
You can enjoy this radio the way it is. or if your looking for perfection, there is not much really to do,
This equipment will be packed properly to make sure it gets to you in great shape. Local pick up is welcome.
Even with the stock hand microphone you could get 100% modulation out of the FS series of radios.

All you need with the Sonar is a mic audio wire, a ground (shield) wire, and a keying wire for the relay. If all you have are amplified D104's, you can always temp. bypass the mic amplifier board under the mic.

NEVER hook an amplified microphone up to a Demco modulator... UNLESS you don't want people to understand what the hell you are saying !!! LOL !!

Remember to NEVER use a Demco modulator (included with spare FS 3023 spare working radio )on a RADIO that has a transistorized mic amplifier in it. The voltages coming out of the Demco WILL burn the transistor out !!

Also, one of the quirks that the FS-2340 has is (2) boards were added to this model to meet FCC standards. An Audio Clipper/Filter ,, and a Low Pass Filter . MY RADIO HAS TWO BYPASS BEAUTIFUL WORK WAS DONE ALSO. 1 AND 2 SWITCHES DOWN MEAN STANDARD MODULATION AND AND 3 TO 15 WATTS AND SWITCHES UP MEAN HIGHER MODULATION BUT CLEAN AND LOWER WATTS OUTPUT 2 TO 12 WATTS OUTPUT
Back "In The Day", a lot of people would BYPASS (NOT REMOVE)these boards to get more out of the radios. Then hook them back up when they sold the radios.
In the 1960s, Sonar made CB and marine-service radios, such as the vacuum tube FS-23 (circa 1964), FS-3023 and hybrid FS-2340, 40 channel CB radio (mid-1970s)
I have seen used 10-15 watt crystal VHF radios sold at flea markets.
They also made a 26-33 MHz linear amplifier, advertised for the old low-VHF LMR allocations.
Up for auction is a, High End , SONAR FS-2340, VINTAGE 40 CHANNEL PLL, TUBE TYPE, CB RADIO BASE STATION . This radio is a excellent combination of tube and transistor circuitry... It has very NO blemishes OR DINGS and is fully functional in every way, meter and all... ( SO BID WITH CONFIDENCE )...These fine radios slipped under the radar, but were not one step behind The Chief... The Sonar Radio Corp. were makers of high end marine band transceivers... Then during the CB craze, changed these fine radios over to citizens band... They boast class "AB" push pull,high level, plate modulated, audio tube finals, which produced some of the most beautiful, clean, clear, bold, modulation that you'll ever hear in a stock CB radio... In case you don't know what this means, It uses (2) tubes in push pull, to produce the audio modulation ... All aluminum construction, Collins(RUBBERY FINISH) style case is well ventilated and reduces stray magnetic fields, and RF flux. A simple dash panel but fully functional. This has to be one of the best tube type 40 channel CB radios ever made in the U.S.A. The receiver boast extremely sharp reception with three IF stages, is quite impressive. This radio is from my personal collection of Sonar Radios,). It has good transmit and receive, and beautiful modulation ranging between 300-3,000 Hz for a very clean voice reproduction. The stock mic is included ... I use my personal D-104 Desk Mic (not included) and suggest you do the same. Condition of this sale is ( AS IS ) due to the nature of this item, Vintage Electronics. Will not be DOA.
Included is a low hours usage on mu Palomar 300A with the revision to use cheap tubes instead of 8950's, Run on 90 watts per tube and coast all day at 350 on AM. If you need photos please contact me or will load some tomorrow but look at my ebay feedback i have a perfect score and ony use the good things in life ? If your going to talk on 11 meter might as well go first class
Thank You.... Happy Bidding... Kind Regards
The Milk Man from South Texas , looking for a customer

Here is your chance to own a rare and hard to find Sonar FS-2340 and matching equipment. SuperTech out of California has just gone through the radio and accessory and it all works as it should within specifications.
All tubes were pulled and tested. All tube sockets were cleaned. All controls were cleaned. All light bulbs were taken out , sockets cleaned...Capacitors were tested on our meter.
The radio was aligned for transmit and receive. A new plug was put on the microphone. The equipment tested well on the bench as well as on the air. All the lights work. I will also include PDF versions of the owners manuals on a cd.
If your local to Texas Gulf Coast please feel free to stop by and try out this wonderful radio. If not bid with confidence. Read our Ebay feedback we are very proud of it.
You can enjoy this radio the way it is. or if your looking for perfection, there is not much really to do,
This equipment will be packed properly to make sure it gets to you in great shape. Local pick up is welcome.
Even with the stock hand microphone you could get 100% modulation out of the FS series of radios.

All you need with the Sonar is a mic audio wire, a ground (shield) wire, and a keying wire for the relay. If all you have are amplified D104's, you can always temp. bypass the mic amplifier board under the mic.

NEVER hook an amplified microphone up to a Demco modulator... UNLESS you don't want people to understand what the hell you are saying !!! LOL !!

Remember to NEVER use a Demco modulator (included with spare FS 3023 spare working radio )on a RADIO that has a transistorized mic amplifier in it. The voltages coming out of the Demco WILL burn the transistor out !!

Also, one of the quirks that the FS-2340 has is (2) boards were added to this model to meet FCC standards. An Audio Clipper/Filter ,, and a Low Pass Filter . MY RADIO HAS TWO BYPASS BEAUTIFUL WORK WAS DONE ALSO. 1 AND 2 SWITCHES DOWN MEAN STANDARD MODULATION AND AND 3 TO 15 WATTS AND SWITCHES UP MEAN HIGHER MODULATION BUT CLEAN AND LOWER WATTS OUTPUT 2 TO 12 WATTS OUTPUT
Back "In The Day", a lot of people would BYPASS (NOT REMOVE)these boards to get more out of the radios. Then hook them back up when they sold the radios.
In the 1960s, Sonar made CB and marine-service radios, such as the vacuum tube FS-23 (circa 1964), FS-3023 and hybrid FS-2340, 40 channel CB radio (mid-1970s)
I have seen used 10-15 watt crystal VHF radios sold at flea markets.
They also made a 26-33 MHz linear amplifier, advertised for the old low-VHF LMR allocations.
Up for auction is a, High End , SONAR FS-2340, VINTAGE 40 CHANNEL PLL, TUBE TYPE, CB RADIO BASE STATION . This radio is a excellent combination of tube and transistor circuitry... It has very NO blemishes OR DINGS and is fully functional in every way, meter and all... ( SO BID WITH CONFIDENCE )...These fine radios slipped under the radar, but were not one step behind The Chief... The Sonar Radio Corp. were makers of high end marine band transceivers... Then during the CB craze, changed these fine radios over to citizens band... They boast class "AB" push pull,high level, plate modulated, audio tube finals, which produced some of the most beautiful, clean, clear, bold, modulation that you'll ever hear in a stock CB radio... In case you don't know what this means, It uses (2) tubes in push pull, to produce the audio modulation ... All aluminum construction, Collins(RUBBERY FINISH) style case is well ventilated and reduces stray magnetic fields, and RF flux. A simple dash panel but fully functional. This has to be one of the best tube type 40 channel CB radios ever made in the U.S.A. The receiver boast extremely sharp reception with three IF stages, is quite impressive. This radio is from my personal collection of Sonar Radios,). It has good transmit and receive, and beautiful modulation ranging between 300-3,000 Hz for a very clean voice reproduction. The stock mic is included ... I use my personal D-104 Desk Mic (not included) and suggest you do the same. Condition of this sale is ( AS IS ) due to the nature of this item, Vintage Electronics. Will not be DOA.
Included is a low hours usage on mu Palomar 300A with the revision to use cheap tubes instead of 8950's, Run on 90 watts per tube and coast all day at 350 on AM. If you need photos please contact me or will load some tomorrow but look at my ebay feedback i have a perfect score and ony use the good things in life ? If your going to talk on 11 meter might as well go first class
Thank You.... Happy Bidding... Kind Regards
The Milk Man from South Texas , looking for a customer
The 2340 was produced in 1979/79. Good luck very nice rig. I own several.

Reactions: phantom309
Not when it was POSTED to EBAY for
Are You Ready
$900.00
All the Best
Gary
I've got three fs 2340's and was thinking about listing the best one I own for $500 with an unamplified D104 but don't want to become persona non grata. And for that reason I don't list it. I would only listed on this form because eBay would only allow somebody to rip me off. I don't need the money. It just bothers me that it's sitting there and someone who really wants one could be enjoying it. Would I pay $500 for one? Depends how bad I wanted it and how good of condition it was in. I still won't List It. And there it sits in the closet and will probably will until the Sun Burns Out. I left a note in the box with it saying to whichever one of my family member gets to it first when I cease to be to sell it for $500 but in all reality they'll probably offer it for half that. It won't bother me then because I won't be around. I could picture them now! It's going to be like a white sale. Family members grabbing what they could as fast as they could and loading up the vehicles while tires Screech down the road. LOL!

eBay is the great equalizer. Last one sold for around $350 shipped.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=291670762998

They are great radios and the only one of the big Sonar series I'm lacking. I have my eye to the curb to see if I find one for under the $100 price point.
If you find one for $100 it's gonna be a basket case or the seller doesn't have a clue..Stranger thing's have happened. Garage sales might be you best bet. Good luck.

Reactions: BBB
Gotta love the price gouging that comes with CB's.
I'm not sure I would use the word gouging.
It would be completely different if equipment like the sonar is 2340 were still in production and sonar radio corp was backed up on orders and there was a waiting list to own one. If someone had the foresight to purchase several of them and decided to ask twice as much as the suggested retail price I'd say that was gouging.
Since they are no longer being made I guess one could consider them collectible.
It might be Nostalgia or just the fact that someone always wanted one and wasn't able to afford it at the time they were being produced.
I've seen equipment both CB and ham radio related sell for outrageous prices.
I guess that goes for anything in our society. Look at the prices of muscle cars or artwork.
It all depends on how bad someone wants it and what they're willing to pay.
Is there a sucker born every minute, absolutely! Then again if someone wants to pay what the seller is asking I'd say that's capitalism.
Not gouging. Gouging is when Hurricane Sandy swept through Staten Island New York and I saw several people with truckloads of generators selling them for 3 to 4 times what they could be purchased for three days or 1 week after the storm.
Now that's gouging! Just my two cents of course.

I am wanting to buy a FS-2340....$250-$350 is usual price....$350 it better be mint.
East side. It think &350 for a nice condition fs 2340 would be fair and I hope I'm not seeming unfair but the one I wouldn't mind selling is just about as nice as the day it came out of the box. Once again I think your offer of $350 is fair, on the other hand I put a number of $500 in my mind once I decided to possibly sell one of the three I own.. I don't need the money and the $500 is basically the I don't care if I sell it. My other reason for wanting $500 is that if I wanted one I would pay that amount (for this one) it would come with an unamplified d104 (restored to very original). If your interested let me know and I will take it out of the closest and take some pictures. I hook it up every few months and try to give each a chance. Either way good luck.. I will ship it at my cost.

East side. It think &350 for a nice condition fs 2340 would be fair and I hope I'm not seeming unfair but the one I wouldn't mind selling is just about as nice as the day it came out of the box. Once again I think your offer of $350 is fair, on the other hand I put a number of $500 in my mind once I decided to possibly sell one of the three I own.. I don't need the money and the $500 is basically the I don't care if I sell it. My other reason for wanting $500 is that if I wanted one I would pay that amount (for this one) it would come with an unamplified d104 (restored to very original). If your interested let me know and I will take it out of the closest and take some pictures. I hook it up every few months and try to give each a chance. Either way good luck.. I will ship it at my cost.

Yeh...I figured you didn't really want to sell it that much.....the last one I bought off ebay I gave $250 for it....the PLL board was kaput.... "OUT OF LOCK" which is common with them.....I made the guy take it bake and give back my money.

I have a mint FS-23......I gave $75 for it off ebay about 5yrs ago......the damn contact on the back of the channel selector broke off and it has no receive..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.