• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sony Bond alternative???

Lkaskel

Aug 4, 2017
Hey Everyone,
So, I am working through a President HR2510 and after removing all of the glue I was wondering what you use in place the Sony Bond (brown glue) if anything? I was thinking more in the lines of what to use on the inductors. Once you remove the glue the ferrite ring is now loose as it it wrapped by the copper wire. Also, do you "glue" down the larger caps as they do in manufacturing? I do use thermal glue for the regulators.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Hey Everyone,
So, I am working through a President HR2510 and after removing all of the glue I was wondering what you use in place the Sony Bond (brown glue) if anything? I was thinking more in the lines of what to use on the inductors. Once you remove the glue the ferrite ring is now loose as it it wrapped by the copper wire. Also, do you "glue" down the larger caps as they do in manufacturing? I do use thermal glue for the regulators.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Use nothing. If you are bothered by the ferrite toroid being loose, use hot glue.

Reactions: walterjn and TM86
There was someone in the Facebook CB radio show and tell group who would call you out on you removing the glue as he believed it was non-corrosive and also would slander you for recapping a radio. Think his name was Justin Shultz? Also believe the caps don't go bad since "my radio still works."

What a chode. :) He then talks about how he was an ex-military radio operator so he knows what he is talking about. Glad he ain't in these parts.

You did good removing that glue as on my HR2510 it was starting to eat at the wire. I forgot what kind of glue I used to hold the ferrite. It has been years since I last worked on it.

Reactions: Lkaskel
Mike’s Radio Repair did a video of my HR-2510 some years ago. One of my priorities was to have the Sony Bond removed. Around the 21 minute mark, he mentions using a thermal glue that is used on heat sinks.
The video is worth watching as he rewound some of the toroids. Patience is a virtue.
HR-2510 restoration

Mike’s Radio Repair did a video of my HR-2510 some years ago. One of my priorities was to have the Sony Bond removed. Around the 21 minute mark, he mentions using a thermal glue that is used on heat sinks.
The video is worth watching as he rewound some of the toroids. Patience is a virtue.
HR-2510 restoration
You reminded me of the exact video as to why I went ahead and removed that glue. Neat it was your radio he was working on. Don't tell that ex-military radio operator about that sony bond glue! :D :p

Reactions: CDX8412
You reminded me of the exact video as to why I went ahead and removed that glue. Neat it was your radio he was working on. Don't tell that ex-military radio operator about that sony bond glue! :D :p
I knew I should have saved that crystal that was missing a leg. Sonybond style glue ate it right off.

Reactions: doffo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.