• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sort of final-ish setup

lonestarbandit

Supporting Member - WDX 429
Dec 30, 2006
Finally wife had enough of wires, cables etc across her computer desk that moonlights as my "shack". She demanded it be somewhat organised or she would start unplugging things lol. Given she knows diddly about radio gear figured this to be a bad plan. This is fairly semi-permanent final version barring tweaks once I get the beam and the push up pole installed and whatever changes that needs. Hopper Built base box is under the table. Rotor box on for photo op, not hooked up yet as no pole or beam.

Attachments

• 0620210952.jpg
    0620210952.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 198
  • 0606211357.jpg
    0606211357.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 190

Looks good to me. How do you like the MFJ Wattmeter ?

Its pretty good honestly. No its not a LP 100A but probably a damn fine lower cost alternative. I'd like an Telepost LP 500 but budget wont stretch that far without irreversible wife type consequences whos already eyeing this collection with growing alarm lol. I find it very accurate and for the price a for sure buy. That big ass new dosey test center was bought first but its been relegated to just modulation meter duties. As a passive meter it's ok, but won't match active ones like a the MFJ. Plus the MFJ is auto, no switching for power levels and calibrating. Can't beat that with a stick.

Last edited:
Those XYLs, can't live without 'em, can't buy radio s#%t.

MFJ stuff can be a gamble, glad you got a good one.

True enough some people have gotten some not quite fully assembled lol. Screws falling out, what not. But I'm the sort of fellow that checks all that on new gear so no issue for me (in my case it was fine). For example, the new RCA rotor, tore it apart from new and re-lubed the gears and loctited the motor screws as those are the two common failure points for the rotor and its not even been in the air yet.
I think MFJ gets a bad rap, maybe partially deserved by the guy that figures I spent the money it should be perfect out the box. Well maybe so, but it is your money so a little of your own quality checks on a new piece of equipment will save you a lot of heartache later. That brand new RCI arrived with the mic jack flopping around so bad I couldn't even attach the mike screws. Had to pull the whole radio and face apart to get the chassis to fix that. Luckily I wanted it apart anyway to plug the conversion chip in.
Quality control seems absent now days lol

Sadly, you have to check anything bought nowadays.

Quality Control is probably tricky to maintain when all you pay your employees for a 12 hour day is a bowl of rice.

Reactions: lonestarbandit
Everyone says that but have bought a ton from them and never had.a.problem.

Am quite happy with the MFJ meter I've had for 5 years or so but justified or not some MFJ products don't have the best reputation in the amateur community.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated