• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

speaker question

Remo

Sep 1, 2009
I just picked up a pair of speakers from a thrift store for a whopping $5 bucks.
They look like some old school surround sound speakers. Realistic is the brand. They are a dual speaker system in a small case. Roughly 6"x4"x5"

I hooked em both up to my home theater system, and they both sounded GREAT !

BUT... when I hooked em up to my CB Radio, or my laptop, or my desktop, or my mp3 player, or my cell phone, I got ZERO sound out of it.

Any ideas ?

the speakers are most likely 8 ohms . the headphone outputs on the other devices is probably designed to output to a impedance of a few hundred to several hundred ohms .

I just picked up a pair of speakers from a thrift store for a whopping $5 bucks.
They look like some old school surround sound speakers. Realistic is the brand. They are a dual speaker system in a small case. Roughly 6"x4"x5"

I hooked em both up to my home theater system, and they both sounded GREAT !

BUT... when I hooked em up to my CB Radio, or my laptop, or my desktop, or my mp3 player, or my cell phone, I got ZERO sound out of it.

Any ideas ?

The home theater has a lot of power output. The laptop,desktop,mp3 player, and cell phone only have a line output level meant to drive amplified speakers. As for the CB...??? Maybe a conflict between stereo and mono jacks.

Booty is also correct about the impedance being wrong. The 8 ohms will really l;oad down the output of those devices and they already have a low level output to begin with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.