• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Spectrum analyzer replacement ideas???

Lkaskel

Aug 4, 2017
Hey Gang,
My 1980's HP "battleship" spectrum analyzer bit the dust so I am looking for ideas for a replacement. At this point I am not looking to spend $1000+ for one and am leary of some used ones I see. The truth is, all I have been using it for over the past few years has been the 54MHz adjustment. I was thinking about getting an SDR for that purpose but was wondering what your thoughts were. As a basic idea I could transmit the radio I am aligning and look at the transmitted signal on the SDR instead of something connect to the antenna jack. I am wondering if you can see 2 or 3 harmonics out off of a 27MH signal on one though. What are you all doing for this?

Thanks as always!!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

At this point I have an old Hameg 5006 (512 MHz w/tracking generator)

It is good enough for general bench work like what you are talking about (general alignment needs and 54 Mhz trap)... BUT it does NOT do absolute readings (frequency OR signal level)... and I would like to have that base covered.

As I am just a hobbyist... and that is all I probably will EVER be.....
I am thinking of one of the Tiny SA Ultra's.

The Hameg will still be doing the "common work" stuff. I would just whip the Tiny out when I really needed the "readings". I've seen these for $140 up to $240 depending on where you go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.