• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Splicing coax cable???

Captainlee

Don't give up the ship
Apr 8, 2012
San Diego, Ca
If I splice coax cable will I get signal loss, I need 150 ft of cable I have 100 ft and another 100ft and need to splice it. can I use rg 6 for a multi-band hf antenna??

If I splice coax cable will I get signal loss, I need 150 ft of cable I have 100 ft and another 100ft and need to splice it. can I use rg 6 for a multi-band hf antenna??

Not sure what you mean by spicing, but I would use a barrell connector to connect the two feed lines.

Reactions: 1 person
Splicing those 2 lengths are fine, just cut it as long as you need it after spicing to eliminate rf loss.

Use 2 pl-259 connectors and a female barrel connector to join them.

If you are talking about the same RG-6 that is used indoors for hooking up routers and modems; I would think twice about using it. The outer jacket of that cable has been made for indoor use and has no UV protection (to keep it from drying out and cracking after long exposure to the Sun). No telling how long it will last; but I would not expect to much out of it. Couple years - maybe.

Are you referring to a dipole when you say "multi-band antenna"? If so; then why not run twin lead 450 window line? Be cheaper and work in the long run too. Low loss. Will need a balun though - depending on what bands the dipole has been cut for.

If you are talking about the same RG-6 that is used indoors for hooking up routers and modems; I would think twice about using it. The outer jacket of that cable has been made for indoor use and has no UV protection (to keep it from drying out and cracking after long exposure to the Sun). No telling how long it will last; but I would not expect to much out of it. Couple years - maybe.

Are you referring to a dipole when you say "multi-band antenna"? If so; then why not run twin lead 450 window line? Be cheaper and work in the long run too. Low loss. Will need a balun though - depending on what bands the dipole has been cut for.

RG-6 is also used extensively outdoors and is the typical CATV drop lead coming into the house. Not sure why you would have assumed he maybe meant the indoors stuff. The quality of RG-6 is generally quite good and it has decent low loss characteristics however it is 75 ohms and not 50 ohms. It's a bitch to connect to the shield of it too as it is aluminum and not copper so you can't solder it. If you use connectors then yiou still have the 75 ohms to contend with. It could be used but not without possible headaches. As a receive only feedline it is great however.

Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.