• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SPT-500

Yes.. fiberglass is an insulator..aluminum is a conductor. If it's close enough to fall or break and contact power lines weather it be distribution or even your home's overhead service, you should really find a different location for your antenna.

Simple. Because it can’t be sold as CB antenna because it is aluminum. CB aluminum antennas were banned, I think in the 80’s. That’s when fiberglass antennas began to be made for CB use like the A99.

This is a way around to sell an antenna really meant to be used in CB band.

Just ask here at the forum or Google for the length for CB band. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and for 10 meters, it states 19 feet PLL base to the tip where the top hat is.

I have a friend of mine who had the original old Penetrator and told me it was 22’, 4” long. I lengthened to this and it is resonant on 27.505. SWR of 1.1 there. Should have lengthen a little bit more.

Remember, it is slightly different in the design of the matching unit than the original one . Original one used aluminum rods. New one use aluminum band.

The manuals for the pre 1977 Penetrators set it to 22' 9 1/2". When the 40 channel radios came out in 1977 the length was shortened to 22' 6" to make it centered at channel 20.

Reactions: r carl
MFJs site listing of the SPT 500 as "Illegal to Use On 11 Meter"....From what I have read there are more hams electrocuted by antennas falling into power lines
MFJ statements are really dumb ass. Made for 10/12 meter,lol, illegal on 11?, frigging joke. Lets just say they dont want any CB business, but back to the point the antenna works fine even without one of those new fangled magic tuners, LOL.... 73's
Ocean One Cape Hatteras

Simple. Because it can’t be sold as CB antenna because it is aluminum. CB aluminum antennas were banned, I think in the 80’s. That’s when fiberglass antennas began to be made for CB use like the A99.

Just ask here at the forum or Google for the length for CB band. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and for 10 meters, it states 19 feet PLL base to the tip where the top hat is.

I have a friend of mine who had the original old Penetrator and told me it was 22’, 4” long. I lengthened to this and it is resonant on 27.505. SWR of 1.1 there. Should have lengthen a little bit more.

Remember, it is slightly different in the design of the matching unit than the original one . Original one used aluminum rods. New one use aluminum band.
Wasnt for sure about the rules on marketing a antenna as a CB antenna.....Thats how Maco V58 and V 5000 is marketed as a 26 Mhz to 30 Mhz ...Sirio is marketed as 26 Mhz to 28 Mhz and Sigma is marketed as a 26 Mhz to 28 Mhz

Wasnt for sure about the rules on marketing a antenna as a CB antenna.....Thats how Maco V58 and V 5000 is marketed as a 26 Mhz to 30 Mhz ...Sirio is marketed as 26 Mhz to 28 Mhz and Sigma is marketed as a 26 Mhz to 28 Mhz

You have a good point here. Didn’t think about those other aluminum antennas. Then, like ENC Pirate said: MFJ owner of HyGain products, don’t want to be related to any CB business, stuff, etc.

What ?Because it can’t be sold as CB antenna because it is aluminum. CB aluminum antennas were banned, I think in the 80’s. That’s when fiberglass antennas began to be made for CB use like the A99." ?????? There are dozens of Metal CB antennas on the market, and if you can tune it you can use it, period ! 73's
Ocean One Cape Hatteras

Reactions: binrat
What ?Because it can’t be sold as CB antenna because it is aluminum. CB aluminum antennas were banned, I think in the 80’s. That’s when fiberglass antennas began to be made for CB use like the A99." ?????? There are dozens of Metal CB antennas on the market, and if you can tune it you can use it, period ! 73's
Ocean One Cape Hatteras

See my previous answer to wildchild455

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.