• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SS 158EDX amplifier suggestions

superman180

Feb 21, 2009
Hello all,

I have been running this Sparky tuned radio for a little over a week now and I absolutely love it, it's getting tons of good reports. However I am already looking for the next upgrade to my system, does it ever stop? The radio dead keys just about 3 to 3.5 watts and swings to roughly 40 watts. I am considering a Texas Star amp but want some opinions from folks with more experience. I assume I need to get an amp that does not have a driver transistor built in? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I would look at the new TnT line by X-Force, Sparky sells these. Pill for pill you will stomp a hole in a Texas Star, plus they are priced better then Texas Star.

Thanks again guys for the advice.(y)
I am leaning towards the Texas Star 500 at this point however I will not rule out the Midnight Special 500 either. My budget is tight right now and the MS500 is far cheaper. I only talk on AM and I want a box that I can come up out of the mud amongst the locals here.

well then if you talk Am only then
lets go with a FaTBoY 4pill with either 2290s or 4 -2879s
or the WorldWide 4pill

Heck if you only talk AM you should have got say a Stryker 440 or something. For just AM use a Fatboy or X-Force with just TWO 2879's will do right at 400 watts and talk right with or over a TS500. And that is with two less pills and just over 200 bucks.

Since you have a SSB radio and the skip is getting ready to roll here in the next two years you might as well go with something that can talk on SSB and do decent watts. The choice is all yours.

Well here is my short list of amps I have been looking at for the past week. The prices I have listed are from the web. I have a few leads for better pricing on some of these however I did not include those here. I want to make sure I am spending my money wisely and exploring all options, desicions, desicions:headbang.

Texas Star DX500 4 x 2879 Class AB Bias---------------------$350.00
Worldwide MF-400 4 x 2879 Class C Bias----------------------$315.00
X Force 400-HD 4 x 2879 Class C Bias---------------------- $324.00
Midnight Special 500R 4 x SD1446 Class C Bias--------------------$295.00
TNT 600HD 4 x 2879 Class B Bias----------------------$359.00
FatBoy 700 4 x 2879 Class C Bias----------------------$335.00
Messenger 450 4 x SD1446 Class AB1 Bias-----------------$275.00​

My top picks are the Texas Star DX500 and the TNT 600HD. They are supposedly not class C biased so that is a big selling point after much research. I want a box that can do ssb and I really want a clean sound more than needle swing. I kind of like the B biased box as a happy medium.:confused:

The TS 500 and TNT are both very good amps but there is one thing I never liked about Texas Star amps. Input tuneing. I always have problems with the SWRs between the radio and amp. No problems what so ever with the Magna Force which is the same as a TNT.(y)

i have a T-star 500v and i like it a lot . you may need to lower your dead key a watt or 2 . the variable can be bypassed or replaced . you can find used ones 225ish from established members on a few forums every now and then . got mine for 200 delivered ! :)

With that radio you don't want a Texas Star.

Go with the 2 x 2879 setup such as the Magnaforce 350 or whatever the new TNT equivelant is.

Or go to the 4 pill.

That radio is a screamer if tuned right and the Xforce amps will match up really really well. The 2 x 2879 will get you heard easily.

I realize this is an old thread, but just in case anyone has the same question about this radio, I have a SS 158-EDX, and it has a heck of a peak swing on it. I've set it to key 10 watts and swing to 40 on AM. I chose a Midnight Special MF-400 with 4 ERF-7530 finals. It is advertised to take up to 100 watts peak input, but putting 40 into it comes out sounding nice and clean at about 300 watts with an Astatic M6 power mic starting the whole modulation process. Nothing clipped, and no swing kit. I just turned the Modulation pot up inside about 90% open and it's as loud as you could ever want a radio to be.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.