• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ss 158edx

johne2hotty

Nov 11, 2009
I have a ss 158 edx its the one with the blue display
the ssb works great but the am modulation needs some help it will start to swing upwards but backs off is there something that can be done I use my d-104 everyone says it sounds good but not like a d-104 should sound is there some kind of a limiter or resistor needs to be pulled battery is new works well on my other radios thanks for any help in advance

It's VR16 you are looking for.

turn it as you talk and turning one way will raise the modulation, the other way will lower it.
do this with the mic gain on the front all the way up, and your mic set where you like it.
(a D104 should be set with the gain barely up enough to fully modulate the radio. let the radio do the amplifying)

VR16 is toward the back of the radio towards the right.

here is a link to a page with the service manual and PC board layout among other things.
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rci/ss_158edx/index.htm

DO NOT try turning other pots and coils unless you know what you are doing and have the equipment to measure the readings.

RCI, and pretty much all new radios need an alignment right out of the box, as the quality control in the factories is pretty bad.

my advice would be to send it to a tech who can set it all right on freq, and put the power levels and modulation where you like them.

good luck,
LC

Reactions: Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.