• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SS158DX

I have two 1994 Cobra 148's that have Mfg. by Ranger on the board.(y)

. The RCI-made radios (identified by "Made in Malaysia" [148F] Probably the best of the 148's ever produced. I think they are far superior even to the uniden Mfg. ones

Last edited:
'The RCI-made radios (identified by "Made in Malaysia" [148F] Probably the best of the 148's ever produced. I think they are far superior even to the uniden Mfg. ones'-OUCH. early 90's phillipines 148's are generally thought of as 'the best'. phillipines made grant xl's.....'the best of the best'.

Try to do this with the Phillipines 148, channel "mod's more than one from 26.030 to 28.580 with less than a two watt variance from bottom to top. I won't go into complete details but the RCI 148f can be unbelieveably modded if you know all of the little secrets. I tried this on a Phillipines 148 and it just isn't capable of the same amount of mods. These are very fun radios and they really perform well after some TLC in the right places. I still have it set at 12 watts "variable power", seems to be all it needs (y)

After owning two of the SS-158EDX's and going through them I can say that -

A) They have amazing swing out of the box

B) Turn the modulation up and they are loud talkers

C) They sound great on AM and SSB on both TX and RX

D) They will not stay on the same frequency for longer than 2 mins....serious drift issues. I've heard from another person that Ranger admits that there is a problem in the frequency stability with these radios. I sent one to Ranger and after an alignment by a Ranger Tech at their headquarters I still had drift.

They talk great on SSB but you will be constantly adjusting the clarifier....even after warm up (it's unlocked as well).

As I do mostly SSB...I had to sell both radios...they just are no good for SSB with having to constantly adjust the frequency. Back to the 2950DX.

Awesome radios - ranger just missed the mark with the SSB stability.

If these radios were stable on SSB I'd own 10 of them.

ranger obviously hasn't missed the mark....if cbers would stop spending outrageous sums of cash on their garbage & clones & force ranger to 'up the ante', THEN they might be right on the mark. $229 for the 158, however, is a bargain. and yes i admit the several i've seen and used did constantly travel away from .xx50 with lightning fast speed. however i found that wherever i left 'em-.3848, say, they'ed pretty much patrol that neighborhood and not stray much farther.....the last digit always flickering is what annoyed me most.

I had that last digit die on the first radio - and what good is a radio that's off frequency?

For the price it's a good loud AM radio with all the whistles, if you want a SSB radio spend the extra and get a 2950DX.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.