1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

SS360FM mk II FM RX issue

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by cb4ever104, Jul 11, 2018.

1. cb4ever104

cb4ever104 Member

Hi All .

Got a weird problem with a mk II Superstar 360FM with the PB-010 pcb . Now before i start I'll have to apologize as I won't be able to gain access to the radio again for a few months , so I won't be able to do any additional testing until then . I really just wanted to throw the problem out there to see what you guys thought .

I picked the radio up together with a couple of Grants a couple of months ago . It looked untouched apart from the beep , which had been disconnected . The 2SA1012 was blown and the channel display led needed replacing. Fixed those issues and did the diode 5 band (lolo and hihi) mod on it . I did a few basic checks and I was just about to close the cases when I switched it over to FM . I instantly noticed that there was no "crunch" . There was a hissing , but not the usual FM crunch . Weird . OK . Maybe it's the detection coil (L6) . Gave that a tweak . There was a difference , but I was still getting the hissing . I changed the coil anyway , and the upc1028 , but the problem was still there . I changed the 2 filters (FL1 and FL2) as well . No change .

So . Here's the weird bit . I started to connect the PL259 on the back which goes to my power meter and dummy load . As soon as I connected the center pin all hell broke loose . Loads of electrical noise . The thing is actually picking up my electric magnifying lamp . I can hear the "pops" through the speaker as I switch the 220V mains to the lamp on and off . The radio is still picking up actual 27Mhz FM transmissions , although they're badly distorted . Now . I'm pretty sure the hissing is due to the fact that it's actually receiving a small signal from somewhere . The thing is , that AM and SSB work fine . It only happens on FM . Touching the chassis seems to have an effect as well . I tightened the screws that connect the pcb to the chassis just in case . I don't have any shorts between case and ground , and the capacitors between the power socket and chassis are good too . The voltages on the 1028 were as per the manual . I've 5 or 6 other 010 radios here and they all work fine .

Anyway . I didn't have any more time to look at it . I'm working overseas at the moment , and it'll be 3 or 4 months before I see it again . I've just been sitting looking at the schematic for the last couple of weeks with a vacant look on my face trying to come up with something .

Anyway . As I said . I just wanted to throw the problem out there to see if you guys had any ideas . Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions .

Sammy