• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ssb or no ssb?

If it doesn't have a switch for SSB, I wouldn't recommend you use it for SSB. You'll have a lot of relay chatter, and most likely the amp is not properly biased for SSB... you'd probably sound pretty nasty on the air.

The amp can be modified for SSB delay AND proper biasing, up to you on what you'd like to do. If SSB is your preferred mode of choice, I'd just look for an amp that is properly setup for SSB use. Good luck!

~Cheers~

I don't know which model you have, but a lot of the Palomar amps have an automatic ssb delay. There is no switch on them.

X1

I have a Palomar 400 w/o the SSB switch. There's a cap by the keying relay that's supposed to be soldered but it's not. It supposedly keeps the relay closed a little longer. Mines been snipped by someone who had the amp before I, but so far with an RCI-2950 I was told by another sidebander I sounded fine, albeit the constant chattering of the relay.

Yes I would recomend looking up a way to put an SSB switch on your amp. If no delay is used the relay will chatter alot and will cause an unstable singnal. This could hurt your relay over time as well. And most of these amps DO have auto ssb delays on them internally. Overall do what you think is best and good luck. :)

Since we are talking probably about a mass produced class C auto SSB delay Palomar here it's not worth putting any money into it. Just run it. You can test the auto delay by going to AM and key the mic, when you unkey if there is a slight delay then there you go. Sometimes with Palomars & Boomers the delay will cause you to miss the first bit of a reply when talking AM if the other person keys up fast and starts talking.

Anyway just keep it and run it. Or you could put it on E-Bay and sell it, then buy an amp that's class AB or B with a switched delay.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.